Impossible Dreams by Patricia Rice

8119148,805 (3.75)2
Recently added byChrish292, BookHavenAZ

Friday, February 1, 2013Impossible Dreams (Carolina Series) by Patricia Rice
4 STARS

Impossible Dreams (Carolina Series book 1)

I was lost in the story. I want to know more about the characters in the Carolina series. Maya acts like a bubble head at times,
but she is not. She cares about children all children. She has a dream of a school helping kids of all kind to excell at the
things they can do and encourage them in all ways. Maya is starting a new school right now it is afterschool program. She moved to
Carolina because her sister was arrested for drugs and has a 5 year old son Matey. She is also helping her sister run her shop so
she will have something to come home to.

Maya's school is out in the country in a big old school between two freeways. She has a three year lease on the school. The Mayor wants to buy the land for a mall parking lot and built a road to connect the freeway. Maya is not giving up her lease. The Mayor is
fighting dirty condeming buildings,inspectors, threatening the bar's license. Hasseling her. She is also 7 months pregnant and not married.

Axell owns a bar and restraunt. He has a little girl Constance who does not speak much to him. He is on the city council. He knows the
Mayor wants to close her school down. Constance loves her teacher and is starting to talk more. He wants to help Maya for his daughters sake.
He even suggests she move in with him and be a nanny for her. When Cleo's shop and apartment is cordon off and she can't go back to it.
Axell brings them to his house.

His mother-in-law wants to get custody of Constance and take her back to Texas. Axell does not want her to go but wants the best
for his daughter. Because Axell is helping Maya the Mayor is trying to cause him to loose his license for the bar. Axell does not communicate well. Maya is helping him. His quiet house is not the same. She is making a difference in Matey and Constance.

I enjoyed the characters. How they all are working together or against each other. I want to see more about Cleo and Maya's business partner.
Too see what they do next. Axell at first was someone I did not like so much but he started to open up and his actions for Maya
and the children were wonderful.

Patricia Rice has built a good community of characters and makes you want to come back and visit them again and again.

There are a few love scenes in the book that I skipped over.
I was given this ebook to read and asked to give honest review of it when I had finshed by Librarything Early Review.

Discription below Taken off Amazon.com

Maya Alyssum’s impossible dream is to open a school where kids can find unconditional acceptance—acceptance she and her sister had never experienced while growing up in foster homes. The town council’s representative holds her dream in his hands, and Axell Holm is the kind of uptight authority figure she loves to hate. So how is it that he can ring all her chimes, while she does her best to turn his ordered life upside down?

Readers who enjoy Nora Roberts, Barbara Freethy, and Susan Mallery should enjoy this emotional romp by bestselling, award-winning author Patricia Rice.

Originally published by Random House

Publisher: Ivy Books (August 11, 2010) 368 pages ASIN: B003Z9K8A0 ( )
  rhonda1111 | Feb 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved this book. Look forward to reading more in the series. an interesting love story with a few twists and turns Always like a happily ever after.
  kcordes | Oct 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Really enjoyed this book. First read by this author, won't be my last. It took me a bit to fall for the character but I eventually found myself rooting for her. The plot was engaging and the characters were likeable. ( )
  SarleneS | Sep 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a wonderful story. When Axell walks into Cleo's store and meets Maya for the first time, he's enthralled by her and his life will never be the same again. Maya, the heroine of the story is a dreamer that acts first and asks questions later. Pragmatic Axell doesn't know how to deal with the range emotions that Maya bring out in him. In the end Maya and Axell are Yin and Yang, each filling in the areas of the others life that is lacking.

The book is a relatively quick read, and enjoyable from the first word to the last. ( )
  Mizzfitt2001 | Aug 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very enjoyable read. I found Maya to be well written and easy to relate to. I often found myself wishing during the story that I could have the same attitude she did in the situations she found herself in. Her romance with Axell was endearing and kept the book heartwarming and uplifting. Definitely recommend to readers of light romance! ( )
  besodenena | Jul 12, 2012 |
Reissued as: Dixie Rebel

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449006018, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Patricia Rice writes what readers of romantic fiction love most--irresistible stories and unforgettable characters bursting with life, humor, and deep emotion. . . .

Although home is a dusty curiosity shop filled with rainbows and crystal balls, Maya Alyssum's past has not been filled with good fortune. Her impossible dream is to open a school where kids can find unconditional love and acceptance, the very things she never had as a child. The town council of Wadeville, North Carolina, is determined to stop her until the day Axell Holm walks into her shop. He's the kind of uptight authority figure she loves to hate . . . and hates to love.

Axell knows trouble when he sees it. But he needs the ethereal schoolteacher and the magic she works on his motherless daughter. He's willing to face the wrath of his hometown to get what he wants, but he's unprepared for his reaction to this strange and wonderful woman who turns his ordered life upside down, making him believe in dreams again. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:06 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Patricia Rice's book Impossible Dreams was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible