Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Title:Rampant
Authors:Diana Peterfreund
Info:HarperTeen (2009), Hardcover, 416 pages

Rampant by Diana Peterfreund

Warped by Maurissa Guibord (singing777)
    Department 19 by Will Hill (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another YA urban fantasy about supernatural hunters/assassins from families
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (cbcsms)
    Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst (kaledrina)
    Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black (legxleg)
    legxleg: Zombies vs. Unicorns is an anthology of short stories about zombies and unicorns, and includes a short story by Peterfreund set in the same world/setting as Rampant.

Astrid just wants to grow up to be a doctor, but her mother's obsession with unicorns has made it difficult. And then, in the midst of a steamy make-out session with her boyfriend, a unicorn attacks. Turns out her mother was right all along--unicorns do exist, and they're out for our blood. So instead of prom and graduation, Astrid gets shipped to Italy to a unicorn-hunting training camp.

I love the twist of turning unicorns into bloodthirsty predators, and the unicorn-hunters are enjoyably bad-ass. Astrid herself has a detailed, unique, and realistic personality--her interest in medicine doesn't feel tacked-on, and she reads like a confused but smart teen-aged girl. I loved her thoughts on the artificiality and arbitrariness of virginity (yes, unicorn hunters have to be virgins) and her use of observation and methodological testing of theories feels like exactly what I want someone in her position to do. Her fellow unicorn-hunters are a diverse bunch, from a model to a street kid, and they have personalities and minor plots of their own. And the setting is pleasantly macabre: the training is held in a ruined convent filled with furniture made from unicorn bones.

Unfortunately, the story falls apart a bit near the end: the climax feels too short and unsatisfying, and several plot threads remain unexplained. But overall, I liked this book and its heroine.

The opening chapters can be read here: http://browseinside.harperteen.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061490002 ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Ok I abandoned this book after about 40 pages. Biggest problem: author just tells, doesn't SHOW anything. Instead of showing us how her crappy boyfriend publicly breaks up with her (by, you know, writing that scene in the book) we get a sloppy and rushed rehash of it narrated from the bathroom stall. You just never feel like you are outside of the main character's head. I have no problem with first person narrative, but usually you get to, you know, experience things from that point of view. Not read them like a diary. So annoying. Also, Astrid's Mother is just too out of this world crazy to be believable.

Maybe it gets better. I'll never know. Life is too short to be so aggravated by a book you are reading for pleasure.

I'm really bummed, because the premise of this book was good/hilarious (Killer unicorns! Wicked!) Maybe someday the idea will be executed in an enjoyable form. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Unicorns are not the light happy creatures we think they are, they are dangerous man eating beasts and after 150 years of supposed extinction they have suddenly reappeared in the world. Only virgins descended from Alexander the Great can hunt unicorns but very few people remember this, but Astrid's mother does and she is shipping Astrid off to Unicorn hunter training camp.
At first I couldn't get into this book because I was so incredibly turned off by what happened to Astrid with Brandt and Kaitlyn. However once Astrid got to Rome and Phil showed up I was entranced. I loved watching Astrid develop as a person and Phil was a ray of sunshine in amid a bunch of heavy, troubled characters. For me Phil was what this book needed to keep from getting too dark and it is a very dark book. But Phil wasn't all light and sunshine, she had darkness too keeping her from being the obnoxious peppy character.
Trying to avoid spoilers so I am going to be as general as possible there was one issue regarding sex and rape that I wish had been clarified by the author. This is a book for teens and I felt the author should have clarified that the second someone says no, it is rape. While she did do a good job handling the mixed feelings that people experience, there should have been a more solid clarification that it wasn't that certain characters felt it was rape and others didn't. As soon as the character said no, it was date rape.

I feel this story could end here and doesn't really need any sequels since all of the major villains appear to be vanquished and the only real loose ends involve a minor character I wasn't really thrilled with to begin with. However I am extremely curious about where the story is going to go since it is clearly being labeled as a series. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Unicorns are in the world again.

~Peter S. Beagle, The Last Unicorn
For Dan. For Everything.
"I will never really leave," said the unicorn.

Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns...

The sparkly, innocent creatures of lore are a myth. Real unicorns are venmous, man-eating monsters with huge fangs and razor-sharp horns. And they can only be killed by virgin descendants of Alexander the Great.

Fortunately, unicorns have been extinct for a hundred and fifty years.

Or not.

Astrid Llewelyn has always scoffed at her eccentric monther's stories about killer unicorns. But when one of the monsters attacks her boyfriend in the woods — thereby ruining any chance of him taking her to prom — Astrid learns that unicorns are real and dangerous, and she has a family legacy to uphold. Her mother packs her off to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient cloisters the hunters have used for centuries.

However, at the cloisters, all is not what it seems. Outside, the unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from crumbling, bone-covered walls that vibrate with a terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to — perhaps most dangerously of all — her growing attraction to a handsome art student... and a relationship that could jeopardize everything.

After sixteen-year-old Astrid Llewelyn survives a vicious unicorn attack, she learns that she is a descendant of the most famous unicorn hunter of all time and she must travel to Rome, Italy, to train in the ancient arts in order to carry on her family legacy and save the world from the threat posed by the reemergence of lethal unicorns.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible