Irish Lady by Jeanette Baker

Irish Lady

by Jeanette Baker

This is, I believe, my third novel by Ms. Baker and I was not disappointed. Irish political history aside I found the story (stories I should say) to be un-put-downable. Meghann is a lawyer who has worked her way out of the slums of Belfast and thought she was far away from her beginnings until a love from her past comes back needing her help. Michael walked all over her heart and she thought she left him behind too - but love doesn't work like that, does it?

Only by researching her past can Meghann fix her future and in that process she finds her history is more tied to him that she knows. I love a bit of a time travel novel and while not quite that the book does fit in that an ancestor of Meghann's was married to an ancestor of Michael's and found themselves in similar straights during the time of Elizabeth I. Reliving the trials will help Meghann in her time.

The writing is lush and draws you into time and place whether that time be the 20th century or the 16th century. It was, as I said very hard to put down and I read it over the course of a Saturday/Sunday. If I wasn't falling asleep at my nook I would have finished in in one sitting. The love story is magical - in both centuries - and the characters compelling. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jan 30, 2012 |
IRISH LADY by Jeanette Baker is an exciting historical romance set in 16th and 20th century Ireland. It is the story of Meghann McCarthy ,born in the slums Ireland,in Belfast and moved to New York and Michael Devlin,an Irish charmer and an ex-IRA soldier. It has a twist of paranormal mixed with rich political Irish history. "Irish Lady" has strong characters,an interesting plot,danger,political danger,a bit of romance,and heritage. If you enjoy historical writing with paranormal twists,Ireland,the IRA,political intrigue,danger you will enjoy "Irish Lady". A great read for any historical readers,history buffs,Ireland history readers,romance readers or just looking for an interesting fast paced story. Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at Sourcebooks Casablanca,a division of Sourcebooks,Inc. and My Book Addiction Reviews.

RATING: 4 ( )
  tarenn | Jan 19, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671017349, Mass Market Paperback)

Born in the Belfast slums, Meghann McCarthy has left that life far behind. She is now a rich, brilliant barrister, living in London's classiest district. Yet when Meghann agrees to defend Michael Devlin, a notorious Irish nationalist--and the boy she once loved--she comes face-to-face with the true power and spirit of her heritage and a passion she cannot deny. .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:31 -0400)

A successful attorney in a posh London neighborhood, Meghann McCarthy thought she'd escaped the slums of Belfast forever. Until Michael Devlin needs her help. Years before, her love for the Irish charmer had nearly torn her apart, but now he's part of a past she never wants to revisit. However, she can't leave him defenseless against a murder charge--even if uncovering the truth puts her life in danger too.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible