Mossy Creek by Deborah Smith

Mossy Creek

by Deborah Smith (Contributor), Donna Ball (Contributor), Sandra Chastain (Contributor), Debra Dixon (Contributor), Virginia Ellis (Contributor)1 more, Nancy Knight (Contributor)

193761,408 (4.08)2

Not much to say about this one. It was a free download for Kindle; I was hoping for Bailey White but got Barely Amusing instead. ( )
  rosalita | Feb 15, 2011 |
I really liked this book until I got to the end. The last story made no sense—it was a setup for the next book in the series. I like to read series, but I prefer each book to have some kind of closure. ( )
  lillieammann | Sep 23, 2010 |
In the spirit of the Jan Karon stories, these are collections of stories about small town life, and especially the town 'characters'. This is a wonderful gentle read. ( )
  dreplogle | Jun 30, 2010 |
Welcome to Mossy Creek, Georgia. A quaint little town that "ain't goin' nowhere and don't want to."
Several authors contribute short stories which introduces us to the town of Mossy Creek, Georgia and all its quirky residents, my favorite being Ida Hamilton Walker, Mayor of Mossy Creek, heir to the Hamilton legacy, and nemesis of her nephew, Governor Ham Bigalow.

It's Mossy Creek vs. Bigalow (and Hamilton's vs. Bigalow's) with Mossy Creek managing to get the upper hand most of the time. Whether it's Ida shooting at the new Mossy Creek sign her nephew ordered placed across from her land, or members of her Foo Club dumping the new sign ordered by her nephew, on the State House lawn, Ida can keep you laughing.

Then there is Bob, the flying Chihuahua, Sandy Bottoms Crane (she saves Bob from becoming a hawk's dinner), or Sheriff Amos Royden, who is trying to live up to his father's legacy (and keep the Mayor in line and out of jail).

The book is great light reading when your brain can't handle a heavy, cry a river type novel. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Apr 26, 2010 |
I really didn't know what to expect from this book. What a clever idea!

For those of you who haven't read this book yet---and you really must, btw---each chapter is a story, written in first person from a different character's point of view, and written by different authors.

I swear I want to move to Mossy Creek. Love everything starting from the welcome sign: AIN'T GOING NOWHERE, AND DON'T WANT TO.

The stories are alternately funny, sweet, touching, and sad, but mostly they're human. I especially liked how each character told his or her own story. It made them all so much more real.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series.
  Darla | Feb 10, 2008 |

Smith, DeborahContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ball, DonnaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chastain, SandraContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DebraContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ellis, VirginiaContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Knight, NancyContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
I was six years old, the year was 1950, and the torch of stubborn Mossy Creek pride was about to pass to me in true Mossy Creek style.

Welcome to Mossy Creek, your home town. You'll find a friendly face at every window, and a story behind every door.

We've got a mayor who cleans her own gun, and Police Chief who doesn't need one. We've got scandal at the coffee shop and battles on the ballfield, a cantankerous Santa and a flying Chihuahua. You'll want to meet Rainey, the hairdresser with a tendency toward hysteria, and Hank, who takes care of our animals like they were his children. Don't forget to stop in for a bite at Mama's All You Can Eat Café, and while you're there say hello to our local celebrity, Sue Ora. Like as not, she'll sit you right down and tell you a story. People are like that in Mossy Creek.

Award winning authors Debra Dixon, Donna Ball, Sandra Chastain, Virginia Ellis, Nancy Knight, and Deborah Smith (Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes) come together once again to blend their unique southern voices into a collection of tales about the South, this time focusing their talents on the fictional town of Mossy Creek, Georgia. Chances are, you'll recognize it. But even if you don't, you'll want to come back, again and again.
So welcome to Mossy Creek, the town that ain't going nowhere and don't want to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:17 -0400)

A collection of original Southern stories set in the charming, fictitious down-home town of Mossy Creek, Georgia, where there's a friendly face on every corner and a heartfelt story behind every door.

Deborah Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bell Bridge Books

An edition of this book was published by Bell Bridge Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible