As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The…

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One… (1957)

by Josef M. Bauer

Other authors: Cornelius Rost (Basis of the account)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (10)
This well-written story tells of one German soldier’s escape from a Siberian labor camp and his cross county trek to return home. It has excellent detail, pacing, and descriptions of the landscape and people encountered. ( )
  bemislibrary | Apr 23, 2016 |
Account of the incredible escape of Clemens Forrell, (pseudonym) a German Officer captured by the Russians and sent to Siberia. A 3 year journey of epic endurance.
  bowlees | Mar 6, 2016 |
Josef Martin Bauer's "As far as my feet will carry me" is the extraordinary true story of a German prisoner of war who is sentenced to work in a lead mine in Siberia. The prisoner, dubbed "Clemens Forell" manages to escape and embarks on a three-year trek across the Russian landscape while attempting to reach his home.

The story is pretty amazing. I had a difficult time with the writing, which is best described as stilted. Despite being a short book, it took me ages to read it... the author is so detached from the story that it makes the book difficult to read. I perhaps would have liked it better if it were written in the first person.

This book is very similar to Slavomir Rawicz's "The Long Walk" which I've read many times. While veracity of Rawicz's book has long been questioned (and with good reason, I think,) Bauer's book comes with a greater ring of truth to it. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 3, 2013 |
If you like to feel the book as you read; if you like an impossible adventure; if you like to see total despair and heartbreak turn into triumph and celebration then this is definitly the book for you ( )
  longhorndaniel | May 29, 2013 |
A really good survival book. A German prisoner is brought to the very east of Siberia together with many other prisoners of war to be a slave. He gets help from a doctor to escape and then the story gets really interesting. All the struggles he had to endure, it is hard to comprehend even after reading this book.
I really enjoyed reading it. Loved his dog. Wished that the end had been a bit more prolonged though. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |

Bauer, Josef M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rost, CorneliusBasis of the accountsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0786712074, Paperback)

Originally published in 1955, As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me has seen international success ever since. It has been translated into fifteen languages, sold more than 12 million copies, and is the basis for an award-winning German entry at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival. Recounting an incredible real-life adventure, it tracks the destiny of German soldier Clemens Forrell who, in the aftermath of WWII, was sentenced to twenty-five years of forced labor in a lead mine in the barren eastern reaches of Siberia. Subjected to the brutality of the camp and the climate, Forrell dreamed continuously of escape—and then daringly effected it. From East Cape across the vast trackless wastes of Siberia, for thousands of miles and three years, with fear as his most intimate companion, Forrell fled treachery and endured some of the most inhospitable conditions on earth. In a long series of taped interviews with esteemed German author Josef M. Bauer, Forrell unfolded his remarkable story of survival. Bauer not only reconstructs Forrell’s arduous journey to the Iranian frontier and freedom; he also poignantly evokes the emotional content of Forrell’s brave quest—emerging as an affecting portrait of a man who strove and triumphed against all odds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:46 -0400)

Originally published in 1955, this must be one of the most dramatic adventures of our time. Clemens Forell, a German soldier, was sentenced to 25 years of forced labour in a Siberian lead mine after the Second World War. Rebelling against the brutality of the camp, Forell staged a daring escape, enduring an 8000-mile journey across the trackless wastes of Siberia, in some of the most treacherous and inhospitable conditions on earth. Bauer's writing brilliantly evokes Forell's desperation in the prison camp, and his struggle for survival and terror of recapture as he makes his way towards the Persian frontier and freedom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,559,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible