A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock

A Fly Went By (1958)

by Mike McClintock

Other authors: Fritz Siebel (Illustrator)

This book has a story that at first seems derivative of things like "The House that Jack Built" or "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly," but it adds a main character who is able to solve problems. The illustrations are charming. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Nov 11, 2017 |
I had forgotten most of this book except the cover. When the "monster" chasing the hunter was revealed, I remembered that plot twist. ( )
  VaterOlsen | Oct 14, 2017 |
a book discussing a bunch of different people and animals that are following around a fly throughout town.
a fun book much like dr suess's
2 books
  TUCC | Dec 19, 2016 |
This book is always a favorite with my preschoolers and Kindergarteners. Its repeating lines makes it easy to have them follow along for the "chorus" much like I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly. The artistry in this book and the words match perfectly. We first see a picture of a boy sitting lazily in a boat pulled ashore on a lake and he is looking at the sky. As he looks at the sky a fly went by. The fly is "chased" by a frog who thinks he is being chased by a cat who thinks she is being chased by a dog etcetera. The boy takes it upon himself to stop the whole menagerie and in the end does just that.
I really think that the moral of not jumping to conclusions plays well especially with the younger audience.
  gregorysmith | Jul 17, 2016 |
This is one of my kids favorite books. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |

McClintock, Mikeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Siebel, FritzIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For KIM and LESLIE
I sat by the lake.

Illus. in color. A fly goes by, followed by a frog, who's chased by a cat, who's chased by a dog and a host of other frantic characters, in a humorous cumulative tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

A sheep with its foot caught in a tin can sets off a chase with a fly in the lead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible