Debts of Dishonor: An Imogen Quy Mystery by…

Debts of Dishonor: An Imogen Quy Mystery (edition 2006)

by Jill Paton Walsh

Member:SidheGirl2008
Title:Debts of Dishonor: An Imogen Quy Mystery
Authors:Jill Paton Walsh
Info:St. Martin's Minotaur (2006), Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:December

Debts of Dishonor by Jill Paton Walsh

A good read sat in the garden in the sun on a rare nice bankholiday monday. Imogen gets herself into some scrapes, this being one of the more unlikely ones. this time she becomes involved due to the reapperance of a former flame, an academic who sold out and moved to the commercial sector. Andrew (who's a bit wet, if truth be told) comes in tow with Sir Julian who's dragged himself up by his bootstraps, and isn't the most moral of businessmen. He says something about if he's found under a bus, then one of his enemies has got him. he's not found under a bus, but is found off the edge of a cliff - which sparks Imogen's interest. She starts digging around, assisted by Andrew, and then there's a second murder - for which Andrew is most certainly in the frame. it all got a bit convoluted, and I'm not sure i understood the financial skulduggery - but I don;t think Imogen understood it either. As seems to the the series motif, she ends up being the moral arbiter to an important decision. It was a little farfetched, and the ending was a little too neat in some ways, but a satisfactory conclusion, nonetheless. ( )
  Helenliz | May 6, 2013 |
College nurse Imogen Quy investigates financial troubles and two murders at Cambridge University. I've liked pretty much everything I've read by Walsh and this was no exception. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
The third in a series but the first I've read. An above average example of the "whodunit by someone who's not actually a cop" genre with interesting characters.
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
The story was good, and I like the detective, Imogen Quy, but I was disappointed with solution to this mystery. It fit the book's details, but it was too far-fetched for me. ( )
  kjacobson1 | Jan 22, 2010 |
  pipster | Sep 29, 2008 |
'Ah, Miss Quy!' said the Master of St. Agatha's College, Cambridge. 'Imogen! I'm glad I caught you. I want to ask a favor of you.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031235536X, Hardcover)

Imogen Quy--rhymes with why--is the witty, compassionate, and relentlessly inquisitive college nurse at St. Agatha's College, Cambridge University. Unfortunately, St. Agatha's has seen better days: Its financial affairs are in shambles, and the school is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy.
That is, until billionaire financier and St. Agatha's College alum Sir Julius Farran decides to pay his alma mater a visit. Things are looking up for St. Agatha's….but when Sir Julius suddenly dies in questionable circumstances, St. Agatha's is in danger of closing forever. A nurse is a natural receiver of confidences, and Imogen soon learns that Sir Julius had far more enemies than friends. Her curiosity is initially piqued, but soon turns to alarm when Julius's equally unpleasant son-in-law is found murdered. The case takes on particular urgency because Imogen's former flame, Andrew Duncombe, had been working as Sir Julius's right-hand man. Imogen must work what out really happened before Andrew is implicated in the murders--or becomes the next victim.
In her first case in more than a decade, Imogen Quy calls upon her clear thinking and insight into human nature to seek not only truth but justice. Readers will delight in the return of this "exemplary amateur sleuth" (Publishers Weekly) from a brilliant novelist in the best tradition of Dorothy L. Sayers and Josephine Tey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:04 -0400)

"Imogen Quy - rhymes with why - is the witty, compassionate, and relentlessly inquisitive college nurse at St. Agatha's College, Cambridge University. Unfortunately, St. Agatha's has seen better days: Its financial affairs are in shambles, and the school is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy." "That is, until billionaire financier and St. Agatha's College alumnus Sir Julius Farran decides to pay his alma mater a visit. Things are looking up for St. Agatha's ... but when Sir Julius suddenly dies in questionable circumstances, the college is in danger of closing forever." "A nurse is a natural receiver of confidences, and Imogen soon learns that Sir Julius had far more enemies than friends. Her curiosity is initially piqued, but soon turns to alarm when Julius's equally unpleasant son-in-law is found murdered. The case takes on particular urgency because Imogen's former flame, Andrew Duncombe, had been working as Sir Julius's right-hand man. Imogen must work out what really happened before Andrew is implicated in the murders - or becomes the next victim."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible