Lost in Transmission by Jonathan Harley

Lost in Transmission

by Jonathan Harley

The auto blurb that comes up with this book is incorrect. This is about Jonathan Harley of the ABC news, on location in Indian, Pakistan and Afganistan from around 1999 up till September 11 and the following war on Terror. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Funny timing BC is... Just decided to take this off Mt. TBR and then I came across his wife's book, which I'm currently reading.

Anyway, I liked this a lot. I liked how it wasn't a blow by blow account of every moment of his three+ years in SE Asia, but he certainly saw a lot.

The cricket stuff made me laugh since I've certainly learned more about that since I've been here. The US may not have a Don Bradman, but I'd guess he could be equated to Mantle or Ruth...and I remember when MIckey Mantle died.

p. 142 - 'to the newcomer, this country is about as subtle as a sledgehammer' --- hate to break it to you, but that goes for Australia as well. Especially Sydney. Sensory overload after Fiji.

Also liked his perspective on being in Kabul on 9/11, and how the return to Sydney hit him. I've definitely said that culture shock is worse when you go home then when you leave--so much has changed--or maybe I'm the one that changed?

Wonderful read that I'd ray if I had the $$ but it will be wild released instead. Happy travels little book! ( )
  skinglist | Jan 4, 2009 |
If you're Australian and you've been to India you've no doubt read ex-Triple J presenter Sarah MacDonald's witty tome, Holy Cow.

Lost in Transmission is her (now) husband's book about that same time period. It's a well-written travel/journalism memoir that paints a vivid picture of India and the Middle East during September 11 and beyond. ( )
  MissJen | Jan 8, 2007 |
An account of journalist Jonathan Harley's time as the South Asia correspondent for the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation).
It details his time spent in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Afghanistan and Iraq - including being in Afghanistan on September 11.
His wife, Sarah Macdonald, wrote "Holy Cow! An Indian Adventure" of her time living in India while Harley was on the road. ( )
  mair | Jun 20, 2006 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible