Poor Man's Orange by Ruth Park

Poor Man's Orange (edition 1987)

by Ruth Park

Member:SusyC
Title:Poor Man's Orange
Authors:Ruth Park
Info:St Martins Pr (1987), Hardcover, 274 pages

Poor Man's Orange by Ruth Park

In Poor Man's Orange we continue to live with all the lows and occasional highs of the Darcy family living in the poor suburb of Surry Hills in Sydney. As all the characters were introduced in the Harp in the South, Ruth Park is able to jump straight in and explore all of them in much greater detail. The novel gets to the heart of each character and the struggles they face during each and every day. I found myself wishing if only you could whisper words of advice or drag characters to a needed destination you feel as though you could make life just a little easier for them but their path seems set from the beginning and they are not willing or able to change it. Unlike the other reviewer I did not find it depressing but impressed that Park could sum up parts of the Australian psyche in these characters. Spending the first 30 years of my life there I have seen the thoughts and actions from this book expressed in real life 50 years after it was written.

I would recommend this book to anyone but suggest starting with Harp in the South ( )
  fmgee | Jun 24, 2010 |
Having not enjoyed A Harp in the South, I was reluctant to read this sequel. However, either from the differences between the books or from a change of reading preferences, I found Poor Man's Orange quite a good book. Don't mistake me, it was still a hard book to read. I prefer reading to escape, not to be thrust down into a world of despair and poverty. But the book was lyrical, and echoed of hope. I loved Dolour's character and that she was able to rise above her surroundings. I love that there are actually a few characters that I can admire. ( )
  jennannej | Jan 8, 2008 |

It?s the early 50s. The Darcy family have made a home for themselves in Surrey Hills, NSW. The elder daughter, Rosie, is pregnant with her second child to her husband Charlie and Rosie?s sister, Dolour, finds comfort in doting over her niece Moira. Father Hughie and Mumma live downstairs, as irrepressible as ever. Continuing the history of the Irish Darcys begun in Missus and continued in The Harp in the South, this third instalment of a trilogy, reacquaints readers with the vicissitudes of slum life in a Sydney suburb. An unforgettable family and a cast of unforgettable characters enliven a story that is sometimes tragic but often humourous in a time of poverty and destitution, hope and promise.… (more)

2 avail.5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible