Through a Glass Darkly: A Novel by Karleen…

Through a Glass Darkly: A Novel (original 1986; edition 2003)

by Karleen Koen

Member:Jlibn1
Title:Through a Glass Darkly: A Novel
Authors:Karleen Koen
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2003), Paperback, 768 pages

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen (1986)

Katherine by Anya Seton (citygirl)
    citygirl: Also a richly detailed love story set in England, though Katherine is set in the fourteenth century, and is based on a real couple.
    Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor (loriephillips)

English (23)  Dutch (1)  All languages (24)
I thought this was going to be a more serious sweeping historical novel as it's quite the tome. It turns out that it's a frothy borderline trashy romance novel with a historical setting. That's not a bad thing or slam but had I realized that before I was already pulled in, I'd have saved this one for the beach this summer. The main character Barbara (Bab to those closest) is fifteen when we begin and she's going to be married to Roger, a much older man who happens to be an earl & who she's crushed on since she was ten. She's overjoyed & he's marrying her because he's much about a particular piece of property her in her somewhat disgraced family's holdings. This is no impediment to one true love status for Barbara & she's sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt that she will make him love her completely & eternally. It's very easy to see from the beginning that calamity will follow & Barbara is going to get kicked in the teeth. Still, I had to see it unfold. It's engaging like that. And of course, Roger has a deep dark secret that absolutely can't get out, to cause even more drama. Okay, so it was so anvilicious, I figured it out well before I had read 100 pages in. And I kept going, because it's obvious that's going to come out and probably be all kinds of soapy, angsty.

Long story short, it was. The story doesn't end there though. In fact, there's another few hundred pages to go where it kind of goes a bit off the rails plotwise but by then, I didn't really care because though I wanted to see how it all turned out, I wasn't taking it so seriously that I needed anything more than the soaptastic to close it out. It did drag a bit though (there are heavy descriptions throughout of rooms, furniture, gardens, meals & clothes; I love those things usually but after a while, it was too much) & I must say by the end, the only person that I still liked and wanted to know more about was Barbara's grandmother & her scathingly opportunistic mother, Diana. Barbara, I'd had enough of along with everyone else. I found out there's a prequel featuring the grandmother & I may read that in the future. There's also a sequel to this one following Barbara to America but I'm pretty sure I'll skip that one. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
You die, the girl dies, everybody dies. ( )
1 vote reconditereader | Dec 29, 2013 |
To be honest did not finish this book. I don't know, it wasn't bad but the pace was so slow and after reading 150 pages not much had happened. Guess I am not a romance reader anymore. This is more romance than Historical Fiction I think?

Update. After I wrote the above I had to go lay down and this book was still in my bed room so I picked it up again and read it all. It had some interesting parts so I have to give it 3 stars. 2 is too low ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Really enjoyed this book. Pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  LisMB | Jan 12, 2013 |
A wonderul read! The story is full of characters that have their own story. I couldnt put the book down! ( )
  rhistory | Nov 14, 2012 |
When I was a child, I spake as a child. I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I out away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I CORINTHIANS 13:11-13
2003: For Blake and Samantha.
Two voices, raised in anger, carried though the half-opened window of the library.

"Lives up to every expectation. It's magnificent!"
- Cleveland Plain Dealer

Sourcebooks Landmark proudly reintroduces this classic historical novel.

Karleen Koen's sweeping saga contains unforgettable characters consumed with passion: the extraordinarily beautiful fifteen-year-old noblewoman, Barbara Alderley; the man she adores, the wickedly handsome Roger MontGeoffry; her grandmother, the duchess, who rules the family with cunning and wit; and her mother, the ineffably cruel, self-centered and licentious Diana. Like no other work, Through a Glass Darkly is infused with intrigue, sweetened by romance and awash in the black ink of betrayal.

* Sold 130,000 hardcover and 600,000 mass paperback
* New York Times bestseller for five consecutive months
* A former Book of the Month Club Main Selection

PRAISE FOR THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY:

"A completely involving story...power, greed, family conflict, burning ambition and passion kindle the plot. Readers will be captivated!"
- Publishers Weekly

"Fast-paced and fun to read!"
- Glamour

"Engaging, elegant, chock full of sex and gossip."
- Philadelphia Inquirer

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:16 -0400)

Set against the intrigues of the French court in the early 1700's and the South Sea Bubble venture, this is the story of a headstrong young woman who is determined to marry a man clearly not right for her, a man whose romantic and sexual past will come back to haunt the girl he marries.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,704,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible