Gently Down the Stream by Alan Hunter

Gently Down the Stream (1957)

by Alan Hunter

Make me want to suck on a peppermint cream! Good story! This is a very different Detective Gently than portrayed on the TV series. A good surprising, but inevitable ending as all good mysteries should have. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
read this in chicago. really enjoy the tv show which is quite different from the books. ( )
  mahallett | Jun 4, 2013 |
Chief Inspector George Gently is sent to investigate the burned-out yacht and incenerated body of wealthy businessman John Lammas along the rivebank somewhere in Northern England. As evidence suggests that he had his hot young secretary on board along with thousands of pounds in cash, and now the money, the girl, and the chauffeur who hated his boss are all missing, Gently has a good lead. But just the slightest digging uncovers Lammas' wife and son, who also hated him, and that Lammas had been quietly liquidating the business to his benefit.

This is the third in the Gently series but the first that I've read. I'd never heard of them before getting hooked on the British tv series, and I believe these books went out of print for many years before being revived by the popularity of the show. I would say that the characters in the book, and even the plot, have little resemblence to the t.v. versions. This book was written in 1957 and stands up as well as any from that period. There are red herrings and a dysfunctional family (including the requisite 'Belligerent But Frightened Young Female' who bounds her way into nearly every British mystery from the 20's through the 60's) and a good plot twist at the end. ( )
  mstrust | May 13, 2013 |
FOR THE BOSUN
(my sister, E. M. Hunter)

and to the memory
of a peerless 16-foot sailing-dinghy

RECKLESS
There was something wrong at Sloley's Yard. Everyone knew it, but nobody was sure what it was.

Chief Inspector Gently has to cancel his fishing holiday when he is called in to lead an investigation into the death of a man in the burnt-out shell of a boat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,244,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible