How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for…

How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships

by Leil Lowndes

Recently added byPJ817, CMoro, ethnosax, private library, Sandydog1, HyzenthlayK9

The content of [a:Leil Lowndes|618|Leil Lowndes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1307826317p2/618.jpg]'s [b:How to Talk to Anyone|35210|How to Talk to Anyone 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships|Leil Lowndes|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348889571s/35210.jpg|35147] is much better described by its subtitle: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships. Some of the book is about talking to people, but quite a bit is about other aspects of relationships. I read this just after reading [b:How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less|181727|How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less|Nicholas Boothman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1172507320s/181727.jpg|175606] by [a:Nicholas Boothman|105972|Nicholas Boothman|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-d9f6a4a5badfda0f69e70cc94d962125.png] (reviewed here). Both books are on similar topics, but written by very different authors. While Boothman's book is short and less thorough than I would have liked, I really enjoyed his personality. He seems like someone who genuinely likes meeting people, someone who finds joy in everyday life. His friendliness and enthusiasm were contagious. And then there's Leil Lowndes. She seems like a shallow, petty, artificial person (which I assume is not true, but it's the image I'm left with having read her book). A number of her "Little Tricks for Big Success" seem to me phony. Rather than cultivating a "bag of tricks" to make people around feel better about themselves and me, why not cultivate an attitude of genuine interest and care for others around me? As Boothman repeats throughout his book, it is only out of a genuine attitude that people will feel loved and appreciated. I agree with this, and I think I would feel slightly used to be treated with some of Lowndes's techniques for getting ahead. The end result of this self-improvement ought to be that I am a better person, regardless of whether I am (to use Lowndes's terminology) a "Big Cat" or "Little Cat." I should be giving my best to everyone, not just successful people who can give me something that benefits me. Consider Lowndes's story of her friend who, apparently, completely messed up the chances for success when she didn't handle a business phone call with 100% perfection. Afterwards, Lowndes says, "I still like Laura. She's still my friend. But will I introduce her to any other Big Winners who might help her? I can't take the chance." Goodness. I also find it difficult to understand what, in Lowndes's opinion, constitutes proper, caring behavior, and what is shallow and false. A prime example is her pride in a form letter that she sends to supervisors of employees who have given her good service (Technique 90). To me, a form letter just doesn't seem the height of caring. However, there are some really good techniques in the book, too. "Hang by Your Teeth" (Technique 4) is a fantastic tip for improving posture. And there are many other pieces of advice that are very good. It's just the overall odd tone from the author that leaves a bad taste in my mouth from the book as a whole. Also, it seems that the pinnacle of Lowndes's career was being a hostess on a cruise ship; she's not married; her anecdotes are mostly about "friends." A book like this would be more authoritative from someone who has achieved the success that Lowndes is so obviously desperate for. ( )
  ethnosax | Aug 8, 2014 |
I love these short, 90s ('sort of), campy, phony-get-ahead audiobooks. This one wasn't short and campy enough. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Awesome Book. ( )
  JayBooked | Oct 31, 2010 |
a useful lists of suggestions and tips. ( )
  sphinx | Nov 9, 2007 |
Nothing you couldn't figure out for yourself if you really wanted to! ( )
  misticat57 | Jun 19, 2007 |
Have you ever admired those successful people wo seem to have it all? (Preface)
The moment two humans lay eyes on each other has awesome potency.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 007141858X, Paperback)

"You'll not only break the ice, you'll melt it away with your new skills." -- Larry King

"The lost art of verbal communication may be revitalized by Leil Lowndes." -- Harvey McKay, author of “How to Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive”

What is that magic quality makes some people instantly loved and respected? Everyone wants to be their friend (or, if single, their lover!) In business, they rise swiftly to the top of the corporate ladder. What is their "Midas touch?"

What it boils down to is a more skillful way of dealing with people.

The author has spent her career teaching people how to communicate for success. In her book How to Talk to Anyone (Contemporary Books, October 2003) Lowndes offers 92 easy and effective sure-fire success techniques-- she takes the reader from first meeting all the way up to sophisticated techniques used by the big winners in life. In this information-packed book you’ll find:

9 ways to make a dynamite first impression 14 ways to master small talk, "big talk," and body language 14 ways to walk and talk like a VIP or celebrity 6 ways to sound like an insider in any crowd 7 ways to establish deep subliminal rapport with anyone 9 ways to feed someone's ego (and know when NOT to!) 11 ways to make your phone a powerful communications tool 15 ways to work a party like a politician works a room 7 ways to talk with tigers and not get eaten alive

In her trademark entertaining and straight-shooting style, Leil gives the techniques catchy names so you'll remember them when you really need them, including: "Rubberneck the Room," "Be a Copyclass," "Come Hither Hands," “Bare Their Hot Button,” “The Great Scorecard in the Sky," and "Play the Tombstone Game,” for big success in your social life, romance, and business.

How to Talk to Anyone, which is an update of her popular book, Talking the Winner's Way (see the 5-star reviews of the latter) is based on solid research about techniques that work!

By the way, don't confuse How to Talk to Anyone with one of Leil's previous books, How to Talk to Anybody About Anything. This one is completely different!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:52 -0400)

It teaches, how to make an unforgettable entrance and meet the people you want to meet, use body language to captivate audiences of all sizes, sound like an insider in any crowd and always come across as confident, credible, and charismatic wherever you are.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible