Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

Would-Be Witch (edition 2009)

by Kimberly Frost

Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*****
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Urban Fantasy, Witch

Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

Cute book, reminiscent of Evanovich's Plum series. Quirky and light without a lot of substance. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
This book was so fun. I greatly look forward to the next one! ( )
  TiaNevitt | Apr 6, 2013 |
I enjoyed the concept of the story and mostly enjoyed the author's voice -- despite a heroine who seemed as dumb as toast through most of it, a frequent desire on my part to take a baseball bat to the heroine's lover/ex-husband, and sometimes awkward or hurried transitions. This probably would have been a 3 star book for me, except for the author's descriptions of the non-white, non-straight characters. (I think the author may have been trying for Charlaine Harris-style playing with stereotypes, except in small-town Texas instead of Louisiana, but either she lacks Harris' skill as a writer or knowledge of the groups she's talking about because it all seemed... well, clueless at best. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Oct 24, 2011 |
Fluff. I tried it since it said it was 'southern' (saying 'well butter my butt and call me a biscuit' does not make it southern, just (one of many) cliche(s)) and let's face it, I knew it would be fluff. Some fluff is entertaining. Some is not. This had moments of both. I liked her cat, Mercutio, better than any other character since he actually HAD character (entertaining fluff). We meet Tammy Jo (southern name ahem?), a VERY naive sort-of witch. She doesn't know what the red light district is and thinks that Gaelic is something her gay buddy (hairstylist of course) Johnny would do, but she is (of course) an unearthly beauty, has her own special charm that has 2 men panting after her, and a raw magical talent that is stronger than anyone. I finished it in 2 hrs and straight up, I wish the cat had a book - his moments were all I looked for/cared about. Mercutio, that extra half star is for you, pretty kitteh! ( )
1 vote jlparent | May 20, 2011 |
A humorous take on a day-in-the-life of a novice witch. Charlaine Harris, for one, has the ability to help you relate to a character who may not be the brightest crayon in the box. This book almost makes me feel stupid after reading it. ( )
  MrsMich02 | Mar 12, 2011 |
Jenna Reitgarten is awfully lucky that my witch genes are dormant, or I'd have hexed her with hiccups for the rest of her natural-born life.

The promising debut of a hot new voice in paranormal romance-and the first of the Southern Witch novels.

The family magic seems to have skipped over Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets are a few untimely visits from long-dead, smart-mouthed family ghost Edie. But when her locket-an heirloom that happens to hold Edie's soul-is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it's time for Tammy to find her inner witch.

After a few experiences with her dysfunctional magic, Tammy turns to the only person in small-town Duval, Texas, who can help: the very rich and highly magical Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers-and a 007 savoir faire to boot-but the locket isn't the only heirloom passed down in Tammy's family. She also inherited a warning: stay away from Lyons.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

Tammy Jo Trask, of Duvall, Texas, is a mediocre witch whose only supernatural accomplishment is her relationship with the family ghost, Edie. When the heirloom locket that holds Edie's soul is stolen, Tammy learns that the only person who can help her is a rich magical practioner belonging to a family Tammy has been warned against.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible