Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

Would-Be Witch (edition 2009)

by Kimberly Frost

Title:Would-Be Witch
Authors:Kimberly Frost
Info:Berkley Trade (2009), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Urban Fantasy, Witch

Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

Tammy Jo borders on TSTL, but this book is entertaining. ( )
  CrystalDawn1217 | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is a fun, light-hearted read. Tammy Jo is having a bad week, a really bad week and despite her lack of magical abilities finds herself mixed up in more hocus-pocus than she can handle. And some of it is just plain funny. The humour is what makes the book worth reading. Tammy Jo has a sharp wit and her sarcasm is a joy to partake in.

The book does feel a little chaotic at times, with Tammy Jo trying to accomplish multiple tasks at the same time, with no real understanding of what is going on around her. Plus, the world-building is a little on the slim side. But, all-in-all, it's a fun little ride. And while the whole werewolf mystery is cleared up, this is still very much a first book in a series. There are a number of threads left loose and a lot of unanswered or unaddressed questions. This left me feeling dissatisfied right at the end.

I'm also at a bit of a loss about the Bryn/Zach situation. I like both men, despite their serious control issues (Zach especially). It's not quite a love triangle, but is too close to be comfortable. There's little chance of either one escaping unscathed and I find myself cringing at the prospects.

If I come across the sequel, I'll definitely be giving it a read. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Love Merc the cat , an Ocelot ! Great story about a witch that does not really think she's a witch.. , her Testosterone heavy ex-husband, one super rich sexy male witch, and a grumpy father all trying to save them selves and the town from death. The twists and turn leave you guessing.This is a sexy, fun book with fantastic characters that make me want to know them better. If you like AMry Janice Davidson,Charlaine Harris, and Gerry Bartlett you will love this book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Despite the high price ($12 kindle edition), after reading downloaded sample I really wanted this book so bought and read.

Downloaded sample in which quirky heroine with horrid customer in an unliked job trying to take home what heroine lovingly created on commission but without paying full price (as in, yes, I like it and will be using it at the party but not at agreed upon price) tells boss and customer where to shove it. Heads home newly determined to take control of life and the on/off thing with ex-husband in very small town. On the paranormal side of things, supported by a wildchild family ghost and from a family of witches and presumably poised to come into her own powers.

Full book had a doormat of a heroine always forgiving everyone everything (drug her, steal from her, etc. all forgiven) and letting ex-husband and new romantic interest both shove her around. Ghost goes missing. Small town bullying, whining, gossiping, etc. and then sudden insertions of de rigeur paranormals for reasons barely understandable even at story end (vampire, werewolves, merpeople, etc.) without any real worldbuilding. Small town hid head in sand and knew nothing; violence of werewolves put down to gang violence. Same "love triangle" style romantic snarl and heroine being pushed around even at end of story.

Writing not horrible. But, telling point for my review, not interested in pursuing rest of series even if became free at the public library (and certainly not at $12 a book). Looking for a fun main character and not a doormat. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Glad I read this! ( )
  Jaydlyn | Sep 13, 2015 |
Jenna Reitgarten is awfully lucky that my witch genes are dormant, or I'd have hexed her with hiccups for the rest of her natural-born life.

The promising debut of a hot new voice in paranormal romance-and the first of the Southern Witch novels.

The family magic seems to have skipped over Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets are a few untimely visits from long-dead, smart-mouthed family ghost Edie. But when her locket-an heirloom that happens to hold Edie's soul-is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it's time for Tammy to find her inner witch.

After a few experiences with her dysfunctional magic, Tammy turns to the only person in small-town Duval, Texas, who can help: the very rich and highly magical Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers-and a 007 savoir faire to boot-but the locket isn't the only heirloom passed down in Tammy's family. She also inherited a warning: stay away from Lyons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:56 -0400)

Tammy Jo Trask, of Duvall, Texas, is a mediocre witch whose only supernatural accomplishment is her relationship with the family ghost, Edie. When the heirloom locket that holds Edie's soul is stolen, Tammy learns that the only person who can help her is a rich magical practioner belonging to a family Tammy has been warned against.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,835,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible