No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

Recently added bykateminasian, ShariDragon, amdase, Ciarda, private library, Cynical_Ames, murderbydeath

First off, I love the physical qualities of this book. The cover actually reflects the story inside and the art is colourfully eye-catching. The font used is quirky but then so is the main character Tammy.

The writing relaxed me, easing me in to Tammy’s life. It reminded me of the way Janet Evanovich writes her Stephanie Plum series, however the wording of some sentences confused me but that may be down to Texan slang, I’m English I don’t know much about that so some words and sentences were lost on me. Also, there were quite a few instances where the dialogue was choppy, switching topics so fast that questions went unanswered, this required me to read some lines more than once to check if I was following the conversations correctly.

You really got a sense of the small-town nature of Tammy’s personality, she was really clueless to some worldly things – she didn’t know what a red-light district was and she thought Gaelic was written as ‘Gay-lick’, something she associated with homosexuals!

It’s a fun entertaining read that doesn’t take itself too seriously. When it looked like characters were going to die, I didn’t worry I trusted the author, that’s how I relaxed I was reading this. Although the back of this book states it’s a paranormal romance, I wouldn’t class it as one. There is some sexual tension with Bryn, he was mysterious at first but I liked him less and less after he magically rapes Tammy twice, stealing her power, the second time taking advantage of her knowing that she was under the influence of something. I was glad when she apologised to her ex-husband Zach who despite being a bit of a sh*tty husband he still loved Tammy.

When Tammy was comparing Bryn and Zach, Zach came out on top; she could trust him and he would do his best not to hurt her. Bryn on the other hand didn’t really care about her feelings, he was selfish and arrogant. A major sticking point for Zach was that he thought that Edie was just a figment of Tammy’s imagination but he seemed to see her when he was dying, whether that was down to the bite or his near-death experience I don’t know but hopefully he’ll believe Edie exists now.

For Tammy, knowing Bryn may help her in gaining more magical knowledge – that’s a pro for him, and staying with Zach whose inattentive overbearing nature drove her mad – a con for him but overall she may be safer with Bryn but I think Zach would make her happier. She only seems to like Bryn for what he has, what he can offer like Jenson, the huge kitchen and magical resources. Oh and the fact that she’s forbidden to associate with him probably makes him more desirable to her. Weird that her other family members seemed to know his father.

My favourite character, Mercutio the ocelot, couldn’t even talk. I hate domestic cats but I love big cats. Mercutio was so intelligent I expected him to be a shape-shifter or something. The story about Bryn finding him floating on a raft was weird. I wonder where he came from.

Other questions like the possibility of Tammy’s father being fey were interesting. The absence of her mother and aunt was annoying considering how many questions Tammy has for them like: who is her father? Is he fey? Why are the Lyons on the list? I guess these will be answered in the sequel.

The ending was quick and convenient and I have to say I think it was too convenient. The author obviously didn’t want her characters to die or turn into werewolves so she waved a wand and healed them up real nice. I suppose I can forgive that considering the happy tone of the whole book, it would only be right for it to have a happy ending too.
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
Cute book, reminiscent of Evanovich's Plum series. Quirky and light without a lot of substance. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
This book was so fun. I greatly look forward to the next one! ( )
  TiaNevitt | Apr 6, 2013 |
I enjoyed the concept of the story and mostly enjoyed the author's voice -- despite a heroine who seemed as dumb as toast through most of it, a frequent desire on my part to take a baseball bat to the heroine's lover/ex-husband, and sometimes awkward or hurried transitions. This probably would have been a 3 star book for me, except for the author's descriptions of the non-white, non-straight characters. (I think the author may have been trying for Charlaine Harris-style playing with stereotypes, except in small-town Texas instead of Louisiana, but either she lacks Harris' skill as a writer or knowledge of the groups she's talking about because it all seemed... well, clueless at best. ( )
  thewalkinggirl | Oct 24, 2011 |
Fluff. I tried it since it said it was 'southern' (saying 'well butter my butt and call me a biscuit' does not make it southern, just (one of many) cliche(s)) and let's face it, I knew it would be fluff. Some fluff is entertaining. Some is not. This had moments of both. I liked her cat, Mercutio, better than any other character since he actually HAD character (entertaining fluff). We meet Tammy Jo (southern name ahem?), a VERY naive sort-of witch. She doesn't know what the red light district is and thinks that Gaelic is something her gay buddy (hairstylist of course) Johnny would do, but she is (of course) an unearthly beauty, has her own special charm that has 2 men panting after her, and a raw magical talent that is stronger than anyone. I finished it in 2 hrs and straight up, I wish the cat had a book - his moments were all I looked for/cared about. Mercutio, that extra half star is for you, pretty kitteh! ( )
1 vote jlparent | May 20, 2011 |
Jenna Reitgarten is awfully lucky that my witch genes are dormant, or I'd have hexed her with hiccups for the rest of her natural-born life.

The promising debut of a hot new voice in paranormal romance-and the first of the Southern Witch novels.

The family magic seems to have skipped over Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets are a few untimely visits from long-dead, smart-mouthed family ghost Edie. But when her locket-an heirloom that happens to hold Edie's soul-is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it's time for Tammy to find her inner witch.

After a few experiences with her dysfunctional magic, Tammy turns to the only person in small-town Duval, Texas, who can help: the very rich and highly magical Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers-and a 007 savoir faire to boot-but the locket isn't the only heirloom passed down in Tammy's family. She also inherited a warning: stay away from Lyons.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:42 -0400)

Tammy Jo Trask, of Duvall, Texas, is a mediocre witch whose only supernatural accomplishment is her relationship with the family ghost, Edie. When the heirloom locket that holds Edie's soul is stolen, Tammy learns that the only person who can help her is a rich magical practioner belonging to a family Tammy has been warned against.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,915,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible