A Lady of Persuasion by Tessa Dare

A Lady of Persuasion

by Tessa Dare

4.5 stars... Toby and Isabel

It was good! I like that Toby is instantly drawn to Isabel and the "revenge" is only an excuse to speed the plot along and get them married right off the bat. Toby was this kind of immature dandy who resists changing for the better I like that he falls in love first! Isabel was so principled. I like that for as much as Isabel tries to be a saint, she can't get rid of the passion she feels for her husband (as if that is bad)!

I like how Tessa Dare descried Isabel's issues. How she was so afraid of going mad like her mother that she bottled up all her emotions and tried to suppress them. And I like how she feels guilty after making love and how Toby confronts that head on (p. 190-201).

I thought the end was interesting. Toby finally finds out why Sophia jilted him, and realizes he feels EXACTLY the same way... Wanting to be loved for who they REALLY are, ad not for some perfect ideal that others think of them... I like that they both come around. Toby realizes that he's willing to change for the better for Isabel. Isabel realizes that she loves Toby no matter if he fits all the molds she set for him... She decides to feel after all, and she gets angry! Deal with it!! She isn't going mad, she just feels deeply!! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
the first two in this series were miles better than this. Bel, the female lead was so annoying it wasn't funny. Tony, her counterpart was a hollow character with no depth and no substance. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
I was anxious to read this after finishing the first two books in the trilogy because I wanted Toby to finally get a happy ending. I definitely didn't see some of the twists coming, which is always appreciated in any story. However, I found myself less interested in Toby and Bel's story and more interested in Joss and Hetta; I really wish they had gotten a separate book rather than the equivalent of a chapter or two throughout this book. All told, I did enjoy this book, but Goddess of the Hunt is probably my favorite of the three ( )
1 vote harumph | Sep 24, 2011 |
The end of the trilogy. The best parts were Dare's wonderful writing and the male lead, Toby! It was fun to see him develop. It was also nice that he fell for Isobel so quickly so that most of the story was about them figuring things out. A nice ending to the trilogy. ( )
  doxiemomx2 | May 14, 2011 |
A Lady of Persuasion is the third book in Tessa Dare’s debut trilogy. Both Goddess of the Hunt and Surrender to a Siren have been a delight to read! I eagerly picked up A Lady of Persuasion to finish the trilogy. Then I looked at the back cover and wondered why I would want to read what would obviously be a “suitor scorned and got revenge on an innocent maiden” story line. Amazing how first impressions are wrong!!

Most of the characters of this book we have met before but we will see them in a new light! Isabel Grayson, sister of Gray Grayson of Surrender to a Siren, has freshly arrived from the West Indies with the intent to marry someone with a title and money. She wants to make a difference to the lives of the less fortunate - to fight social injustice, and has decided that a title, voting at some level of government and lots of money are what are required to make this difference. Sir Toby we met in both of the previous books as the fiance and then abandoned fiance of Sophia.

Toby played the noble, upstanding abandoned fiance when Sophia took off; repeating the concocted story faithfully, but now Sophia is back and is happily married. Our story starts with Toby at a ball observing Sophia and Gray. The gloves are off and Toby is pouting like a little boy who isn’t getting his way! He is determined to get even with Sophia, but his attention is grabbed by s beautiful woman whom he has never seen before. She seems to be spending time with Gray, and although Toby doesn’t know who she is, he decides to steal her from Gray. The woman that has Toby obsessed is Isabel, Gray’s sister. The interactions between Toby and Isabel are wonderful. Toby is determined to have her and will do anything, promise anything to achieve that goal. Isabel comes across as righteous, but certainly warms up in Toby’s arms! ?

I found Toby to be a wonderful character. His development throughout the book moved him from a superficial rake to a man determined to win his true love and cherish her. Isabel comes from a damaged background, but doesn’t really seem to redeem herself. She seems to be searching for something that doesn’t really exist. It was wonderful to meet the future wife of Gray’s brother Joss and the child-birth scene was riveting and very well written! Although I really enjoy Tessa Dare’s writing, I was somewhat disappointed with the characters in this, the final book to her first trilogy. They seemed to take a long time to get a clue! But the overall book was wonderful! ( )
  Sugarbeat | Nov 25, 2010 |

"Only one thing could convince Sir Tobias Aldridge, an incorrigible libertine, to profess undying fidelity to a woman he's just met. Revenge. What better way to get back at an enemy than by stealing the scoundrel's sister? Not that Toby finds it a chore, seducing a beguiling, sultry beauty freshly arrived from the West Indies. When the prize is Isabel Grayson, vengeance is doubly rewarding. Isabel is determined to marry a wealthy, powerful lord and become a lady of influence, using her rank and fortune to fight social injustice. Sir Toby, with his paltry title and infamous reputation, is unsuitable husband material--but he makes her blood race, her heart pound, and her long-buried passions come to the surface. If she can reform the charming devil, she'll get exactly what she craves: society's respect. But it's a dangerous gamble. For if Toby wins this battle of persuasion, Isabel could lose her heart."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,026,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible