The Silver Pony by Lynd Ward

The Silver Pony

by Lynd Ward

This may be Lynd Ward's masterpiece. No words, just his amazing drawings. A young farm boy, resting from his chores, sees (or dreams?) a silvery white winged pony. His father doesn't buy his story, and doesn't approve of daydreaming (or tall tales?). The boy eventually rides the marvelous winged creature around the world, doing good deeds. The ending has a twist, and as in other Ward children’s works, the Father has a surprise for his Son. Open to a lot of interpretation, this book would be a great discussion topic for bright imaginative children. Billed as for the 4-7 age group, I think it might work better for children older than 7. Although younger kids could probably make a good enough story out of the pictures, they might get bogged down by the end. Lynd Ward is sort of the father of the graphic novel, having produced six wordless novels comprised solely of woodcuts in the 1930’s. He also illustrated many juvenile books including the first edition of Johnny Tremain. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Apr 6, 2018 |
Beautiful fantasy with themes of environmentalism -- which I wasn't expecting at all. Ward is one of the best artists I have ever seen; the way he plays with space and values is unique and eye-catching. This was a story told in pictures without words and I feel this was executed superbly, the plot can be easily understood by sequence alone. Belongs in the library of any who appreciate illustration, fantasy, children's stories, or any combination of the three. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
Stunning! It's such a simple, but effective concept with a beautiful story that I'm quite literally in awe. This book will rank among my all time favorites from now on. And it's definitely not only for children. ( )
  Thalia | Apr 4, 2006 |

Told only in pictures, this is the story of a lonely farm boy who confuses his dreams of adventure on a winged pony with reality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:22 -0400)

Recounts without words the adventures of a boy and his winged horse.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,223,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible