Dark Slayer by Christine Feehan

Dark Slayer

by Christine Feehan

Series: Dark Carpathians (20)

Christine Feehan decided to give us an atypical leading manand it is just as well because leading lady, vampire slayer Ivory Malinov, is an atypical leading lady as well and wouldn't have fit as well with some of the more dominating and arrogant of the Carpathians. And another part of what made this offering so good was that that she gave us a starring pair who have both had enough pain and suffering in their interesting backstories, and in their experiences with family members turning to the darkside, to add greater depth to both of the characters and their relationship.

Instead, another legend of the Carpathians: Ivory the presumed-dead sister of the evil Brother Malinov stumbles across Razvans' body after a lengthy battle with vampires.

Hundreds of years earlier, Ivory was attacked and cut into pieces when she was betrayed to vampires by Zavier. Happily for Ivory, the vampires neglected to remove her heart...so the pieces of her body lay in a field while wolves chewed into her legs and arms. Ivory manages to put herself back together with the help of Mother Earth and, after lying in the earth for three hundred years Ivory begins her dreadful life's mission to eradicate the evil Zavier by unraveling his spells and fighting vampires. She becomes another legend, the Dark Slayer.

Seeing Razvan's crumpled body causes her great pain because she never dreamed of family or children. She was always alone except for the wolves she saved from death by sharing her blood and converting them to Carpathians. Yet, she recognizes Razvan's importance to her...because he is the other half of her soul.

I have been a huge fan of this series ever since the first book, "Dark Prince." 5 stars for an entertaining and facinating read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This book was packed with action, I couldn't believe how much she packed into this book but the author did it with aplomb. I really enjoyed it, it is definitely worth reading to find out what happens between Ivory, Razvan, the Carpathians, and Xavier. What I would consider is an explosive ending. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I think we're getting to the end of the series. Ivory and Razvan kill Xavier in the end. Along the way we learn about the horrific solitary lives they have lived and how they are able to find the other half of themselves in each other. Kind of cool that Razvan didn't have to be the usual overbearing overprotective male like a lot of the previous males in this storyline. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I would like to start off by saying that I have truly enjoyed the entire Carpathians series, but it's always felt a bit formulaic and I continued reading several in the middle just to keep up with the overal plot of the series. This book has more than made up for the lack in other books. Finally we have a hero who doesn't continually push the heroine into the background "for her own safety and the safety of the people" like every other male hero in the damn series. Even the ones where there was a touch of heroine kicking ass, the hero always puts her behind and doesn't allow her to fight.

This series changes that around entirely. I don't want to give away major plot points, but Ivory's been through hell and so has Razvan. He readily admits and allows her to take the lead in all the major happenings as he acknowledges not only her skill, but her right to fight for herself and do what needs to be done. He realizes and accepts that she's far more capable than he is in taking care of what needs to happen and isn't afraid to let her. That's not to say the dude is a pantywaist or anything, he just acknowledges the strengths and weaknesses they both have rather than running roughshod over her "for her own good".

I loved the story, and really enjoyed furthering the plotline of the series itself. There were some teasers for what I assume will be upcoming books. At least, they better be, or I'm not going to be happy. I did think that the ending seemed to come rather quickly for all the build-up, but it wasn't disappointing, just sudden and quick. Overall I am giving this a 5, but for those that care, here is my breakdown. =)

Quantity of smut: 3 stars
Quality of smut: 5 stars
Quality of overall plot: 5 stars
Overall Enjoyment: 5 stars
Quality of Hero: 5 star
Quality of Heroine: 5 start
Quality of non-starring characters: 4 stars
Would I like to be this heroine: 6 stars (yep, cheating again)
Would I like to do this hero: 5 stars
Inclusion of Pirates: 0 stars
Inclusion of Scots: 1/4 star (Lots of wolves and old school Scotland had a TON of wolves - yeah, it's a stretch) ( )
  DuchessofHazard | Nov 29, 2015 |
This book is full of tears and laughter, survival and redemption. It's probably the best book in the series. It has magery, wolves turned Carpathian, scary vampires, evil mages, tremendous violence and bloodshed, and quite a nice romance. This is Razvan and Ivory's story. ( )
  WingedWolf | Jun 9, 2015 |

Christine Feehanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, JaneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gigante, PhilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A rumor has persisted in the vampire world of a dark slayer - a woman - who travels with a wolf pack and who destroys any vampire who crosses her path. Mysterious, elusive and seemingly impossible to kill, she is the one hunter who strikes terror into the hearts of the undead.

She is Ivory Malinov. Her only brethren, the wolves. Long ago betrayed by her people, abandoned by her family, and cast out by everyone she held dear, Ivory has lived centuries without companionship or love. She has sustained her sanity by preparing for one purpose - to destroy her greatest enemy. Until the night she picks up the scent of a man, her unexpected salvation. Her lifemate. The curse of all Carpathian women.

He is Razvan. Branded a criminal, detested and feared, he is a dragonseeker borne of one of the greatest Carpathian lineages, only to be raised as its most despised - and captive - enemy. Fleeing from his lifetime of imprisonment, Razvan now seeks the dawn to end his terrible existence. Instead he has found his deliverance in the Dark Slayer.

In spirit, in flesh and blood, in love, and in war, Ivory and Razvan are made for each other.

For as long as they dare to live.

Ivory, a rare Carpathian female, has been protected by her brothers for most of her life. But once she frees the mage Razvan from his prison cave, they must flee together, enemies of Carpathian hunters as well as vampires. Ivory senses that Razvan is more than he appears to be, and she vows to go against the entire Carpathian race to help him, risking both their lives in order to save their love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible