Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

Messenger of Truth

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (4)

English (65)  Swedish (1)  All languages (66)
Months after her painful experiences in France and the rupture of her friendship with her mentor, Maurice Blanche, Maisie Dobbs is still recovering from her breakdown. She has returned to work before anyone thought she should, but she can't let go and relax; she needs to work.

The latest case comes to her through her Girton College past; another former student, journalist Georgina Bassington-Hope, consults a former professor about investigating her artist brother's death, and the professor recommends Maisie.

Nicholas Bassington-Hope, explosively popular post-war artist, has died in a fall from the scaffolding he was erecting for his deep-secret masterwork, which no one has seen, and which no one even knows the final form of, though it is presumed to be a triptich. Police immediately ruled the death to be an accident, and Georgina has no evidence that it's not--except for a twin sister's intuition.

Maisie finds herself investigating a large, confusing, artistic family, on the one hand, and an apparent smuggling ring on the other. Which are the real clues to Nick's death, and which the red herrings? Once again, the story revolves around the characters--of Maisie, her friends, her client, the dead artist, and their relatives.

Intriguing and enjoyable as always, although parts of the mystery are quite weak in this one.

I borrowed this book from a friend. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Just as good and bad as the others. New locations, etc. There was a death that made me experience relief, although I believe that the expectation was that most readers would feel sadness. This is from the era when having more children than you could actually care for was treated as a fate no less inevitable than growing old. It is easy to become depressed, since we live in a world full of people who want to return to that world. ( )
  themulhern | Sep 1, 2018 |
Maise is commissioned to investigate the death of an artist by the sister. He fell of a scaffolding and it was ruled an accident. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 1, 2018 |
Not my favorite but I really enjoy the series overall and will keep reading them. ( )
  Thebrownbookloft | Jun 29, 2018 |
I very much enjoyed this book. It was a little slow to get started, but once it did I found myself pulled into both the main mystery and the developments with Maisie's associates. The mystery was a little more predictable then I wanted - once certain stories were told early on it was obvious that all of that would be coming back by the end - but I didn't mind figuring out the conclusion a little early. I continue to enjoy Maisie and I look forward to seeing where she goes. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 6, 2018 |
MESSENGER OF TRUTH is something of a transitional book... the plot hinges on distant conflicts that have no immediacy, and the real issue seems to be whether Maisie will find a way “to move on, to dance with life again” — and, one hopes, to recover her original vocation.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Aug 27, 2006)

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jaramillo, RaquelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am no longer an artist interested and anxious. I am a messanger who will bring back word from the men who are fighting to those who want the war to go on forever. Feeble, inarticulate, will be my message, but it will have a bitter truth, and may it burn in their lousy souls. -- Paul Nash, Artist 1899-1946
January - You enter the London year - it is cold - it is wet - but there are gulls on the embankment. - from When You Go To London, by H.V. Morton, published 1931
Dedicated to My Cheef Resurcher (who knows who he is)
The taxi-cab slowed down alongside the gates of Camden Abbey, a red brick former mansion that seemed even more like a refuge as a bitter sleet swept across the gray forbidding landscape.

Sue Feder/Macavity Award for Best Historical Mystery Award Nominee

London, 1931. On the night before the opening of his new and much-anticipated exhibition at a famed Mayfair gallery, Nicholas Bassington-Hope falls to his death. The police declare it an accident, but the dead man's twin sister, Georgina, isn't convinced. When the authorities refuse to conduct further investigations, Georgina takes matters into her own hands, seeking out a fellow graduate from Girton College: Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator.

The case soon takes Maisie to the desolate beaches of Dungeness in Kent, as well as the sinister underbelly of the city's art world. She again uncovers the dark legacy of the Great War in a society struggling to recollect itself in difficult times. But to solve the mystery of the artist's death, she will have to remain steady as the forces behind his death come out of the shadows to silence her.

Jacqueline Winspear delivers another vivid, thrilling, and utterly unique episode in the life of Maisie Dobbs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

In 1931 London, when artist Nick Bassington-Hope falls to his death before the opening of an exhibition of his work and police refuse to investigate, his journalist sister Georgina enlists the aid of psychologist Maisie Dobbs to uncover the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,139,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible