Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries) (edition 2007)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2007), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Audio books, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:WWI, mystery, WTG 2012

Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

English (54)  Swedish (1)  All languages (55)
2006, Audio Renaissance, Read by Orlagh Cassidy

Book Description: adapted from Amazon.ca
London, 1931. The night before an exhibition of his artwork opens at a famed Mayfair gallery, the controversial artist Nick Bassington-Hope falls to his death. The police rule it an accident, but Nick's twin sister, Georgina, a wartime journalist and a infamous figure in her own right, isn't convinced. She seeks out a fellow graduate from Girton College, Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator, for help. Nick was a veteran of World War I, and before long the case leads Maisie to the desolate beaches of Dungeness in Kent, and into the sinister underbelly of the city's art world.

My Review:
Messenger of Truth was, for me, the best of the Maisie Dobbs series to date: a fabulous read listen, in fact. Not long into Maisie’s investigation of Nick Bassignton-Hope’s death, it becomes apparent that she does not trust her old schoolmate, Georgina – though this will be the least of her worries as the story progresses. In the end, given the truths Miss Dobbs uncovers, Georgina will question the wisdom of having pursued the investigation at all.

Billy Beale, Maisie’s faithful assistant and a wonderful character, figures largely here – it is a joy to observe their evolving relationship and mutual trust. I was not prepared for the tragic loss of little Lizzie Beale, and was surprised at my painful response – I hadn’t expected this from Winspear in this series. In any case, the sign of a fine writer. Oh, and Maisie makes a decision about her relationship with Dr Andrew Deene.

Messenger of Truth comes highly recommended! ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Jul 8, 2016 |
A local artist, Nick Bassington-Hope, has plummeted to his death from a scaffolding he had erected in the Mayfair gallery in which he was to exhibit his latest, and much speculated upon, work of art. His twin sister, Georgina, does not believe the coroner's ruling that it was an accidental death so she contacts an old school mate, Maisie Dobbs, to look into the matter. Maisie soon finds herself overwhelmed by the Bassinton-Hope lifestyle of great wealth and varied artistic tastes. Nick, and several of his artist friends, had been conscripted into the army to document the war in paintings. Nick's younger brother Harry, a gifted musician and reckless gambler, had been a thorn in Nick's side for years pleading for money to pay off his debts. Nick had always come through for Harry but it seems that Nick and his friends may have become entangled in Harry's underworld lifestyle. Maisie begins to believe that Georgina is correct; someone murdered Nick.

This is my least favorite of the series so far mainly because the pace was so slow. The mystery was a good one and the side stories of Maisie's unwanted romance with Dr. Deene and the plight of London's poorest citizens during times of illness were well done. Maisie is actually fairly unlikeable in her dealings with Deene. Hopefully the next in the series will be a tad more upbeat than this one.
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
The Maisie Dobbs series just keeps getting better. The mystery stands alone as Maisie investigates the murder or accidental death of an artist. At the same time, we learn more about the role of artists in creating propaganda during World War I, an interesting addition to the history that Winspear has shared in the earlier books in this series. Plus, the continued development of Maisie and her assistant Billy adds so much to the story. I am thrilled that I have so many books in this series ahead of me. ( )
  porch_reader | Oct 27, 2015 |
Again, I continue to enjoy this mystery series set in post-WWI England. I like Maisie's combination of being insightful about her clients and friends and pretty clueless about herself (even though I don't think she would see it that way). This mystery was a little weaker than the others I've read. I actually figured it out way before the end which I almost never do with mysteries. Still enjoyable, though, and I like this audiobook reader, Orlagh Cassidy. ( )
  japaul22 | Sep 19, 2015 |
This is the fourth book in the Maisie Dobbs series, and it's a winner. The setting is 1931 in London. This is a time in the UK when there is a lot of poverty and hopelessness. The Great War is over but for the few that did return jobs are hard to come by. A lot of walking wounded are out and about and everyone that participated in some way during the war is trying to start life anew with the great sadness of the war carried in all their hearts. Unemployment is high. Disease is running rampant. Maisie is asked by a young female journalist to try to find out what really happened to her twin brother who is a prominent artist. The police think it was an accident that he fell from scaffolding that he had erected to enable him to hang up his master work in the gallery that displays his artwork. Georgina Bassington-Hope does not believe it was an accident so she employs Maisie to find out what actually happened. It opens up a whole new world for Maisie as she must step into the world of art and priceless paintings in order for her to figure out what actually did happen to Nick Bassington-Hope. She places herself in some danger as she single-mindedly and doggedly follows the clues she uncovers. This series is wonderful and thought-provoking. Ms. Winspear has a way of making World War I and it's aftermath very real. One of my favourite series for sure. ( )
  Romonko | Sep 11, 2015 |
MESSENGER OF TRUTH is something of a transitional book... the plot hinges on distant conflicts that have no immediacy, and the real issue seems to be whether Maisie will find a way “to move on, to dance with life again” — and, one hopes, to recover her original vocation.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Aug 27, 2006)

I am no longer an artist interested and anxious. I am a messanger who will bring back word from the men who are fighting to those who want the war to go on forever. Feeble, inarticulate, will be my message, but it will have a bitter truth, and may it burn in their lousy souls. -- Paul Nash, Artist 1899-1946
January - You enter the London year - it is cold - it is wet - but there are gulls on the embankment. - from When You Go To London, by H.V. Morton, published 1931
Dedicated to My Cheef Resurcher (who knows who he is)
The taxi-cab slowed down alongside the gates of Camden Abbey, a red brick former mansion that seemed even more like a refuge as a bitter sleet swept across the gray forbidding landscape.

Sue Feder/Macavity Award for Best Historical Mystery Award Nominee

London, 1931. On the night before the opening of his new and much-anticipated exhibition at a famed Mayfair gallery, Nicholas Bassington-Hope falls to his death. The police declare it an accident, but the dead man's twin sister, Georgina, isn't convinced. When the authorities refuse to conduct further investigations, Georgina takes matters into her own hands, seeking out a fellow graduate from Girton College: Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator.

The case soon takes Maisie to the desolate beaches of Dungeness in Kent, as well as the sinister underbelly of the city's art world. She again uncovers the dark legacy of the Great War in a society struggling to recollect itself in difficult times. But to solve the mystery of the artist's death, she will have to remain steady as the forces behind his death come out of the shadows to silence her.

Jacqueline Winspear delivers another vivid, thrilling, and utterly unique episode in the life of Maisie Dobbs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

In 1931 London, when artist Nick Bassington-Hope falls to his death before the opening of an exhibition of his work and police refuse to investigate, his journalist sister Georgina enlists the aid of psychologist Maisie Dobbs to uncover the truth.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,115,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible