Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel…

Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries) (edition 2007)

by Jacqueline Winspear

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Mysteries)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Picador (2007), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Audio books, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:WWI, mystery, WTG 2012

Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear

English (44)  Swedish (1)  All languages (45)
The fourth book in the series finds our heroine investigating the death of a famous young artist. His death is ruled an accident, but his twin sister (an aristocratic young war reporter) just doesn't believe it. The police push her off on Maisie, who ultimately finds herself (as always!) tangled up in something far messier than she first thought. There are a lot of endings and beginnings in this book, which focuses somewhat more on Maisie's emotional life and how she is moving on from her past as she becomes more independent and successful. The case and the people she encounters force Maisie to think about what kind of person she is and whether she wants to be that person. Once again, lovely social detail about the war and aftermath, this time zeroing in on wartime propaganda, post-war political attitudes (eventual leader of the British Union of Fascists Oswald Mosley makes an appearance!), and the deprivations faced by the unemployed and working class. I often find that I tire of a series because each book has a certain sameness, but with this series, each book varies the formula just enough to be comforting without getting old. ( )
  fannyprice | Apr 3, 2014 |
I like the Maisie Dobbs novels but I don't love them. And that's how I felt about this one. It's Okay but I did realise the solution, once the massive clue was given about 50% in. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 30, 2014 |
I love the Maisie Dobbs books. Wonderful atmosphere. Maisie is a good soul. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Maisie books are just so incredibly sad and this one is no exception. The investigation doesn't really move on until the very end but what an end! I was deeply interested in Maisie's foray into the world of artists and the author's use of the trauma of WWI was all the more poignant as it was coupled with some heavy WWII foreshadowing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Winspear writes about the rise of nazism in the next few books. A very good novel indeed. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
In this 4th installment of Maisie Dobbs, we see the main character addressing not only the mystery of the death of an artist ruled an accident but suspicious in the eyes of his twin but we see Maisie acting to aid Billy as he and his family face financial and emotional difficulties.

The conflicting comparison of the emotions of the Beale and the higher class Bassington-Hope family leads Maisie to examine her own feelings and the reader sees her growth not just as a woman but as an investigator.

Great addition to the series. ( )
  cyderry | Oct 15, 2013 |
MESSENGER OF TRUTH is something of a transitional book... the plot hinges on distant conflicts that have no immediacy, and the real issue seems to be whether Maisie will find a way “to move on, to dance with life again” — and, one hopes, to recover her original vocation.
added by y2pk | editNew York Times, Marilyn Stasio (Aug 27, 2006)

I am no longer an artist interested and anxious. I am a messanger who will bring back word from the men who are fighting to those who want the war to go on forever. Feeble, inarticulate, will be my message, but it will have a bitter truth, and may it burn in their lousy souls. -- Paul Nash, Artist 1899-1946
January - You enter the London year - it is cold - it is wet - but there are gulls on the embankment. - from When You Go To London, by H.V. Morton, published 1931
Dedicated to My Cheef Resurcher (who knows who he is)
The taxi-cab slowed down alongside the gates of Camden Abbey, a red brick former mansion that seemed even more like a refuge as a bitter sleet swept across the gray forbidding landscape.

Sue Feder/Macavity Award for Best Historical Mystery Award Nominee

London, 1931. On the night before the opening of his new and much-anticipated exhibition at a famed Mayfair gallery, Nicholas Bassington-Hope falls to his death. The police declare it an accident, but the dead man's twin sister, Georgina, isn't convinced. When the authorities refuse to conduct further investigations, Georgina takes matters into her own hands, seeking out a fellow graduate from Girton College: Maisie Dobbs, psychologist and investigator.

The case soon takes Maisie to the desolate beaches of Dungeness in Kent, as well as the sinister underbelly of the city's art world. She again uncovers the dark legacy of the Great War in a society struggling to recollect itself in difficult times. But to solve the mystery of the artist's death, she will have to remain steady as the forces behind his death come out of the shadows to silence her.

Jacqueline Winspear delivers another vivid, thrilling, and utterly unique episode in the life of Maisie Dobbs.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:49 -0400)

In 1931 London, when artist Nick Bassington-Hope falls to his death before the opening of an exhibition of his work and police refuse to investigate, his journalist sister Georgina enlists the aid of psychologist Maisie Dobbs to uncover the truth.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible