The Folio Book of Days by Roger Hudson

The Folio Book of Days (2002)

by Roger Hudson

205357,211 (3.67)7

I have made this book my third 2011 bathroom reader. Each day has a different "this day in..." entry from a variety of well-known and not so well known diaries, memoirs, news, and other random entries. Has a certain anglo-phone bias to it, which has been useful for boning up on obscure British figures and events. It's a good way to start my morning while I'm brushing my teeth. Puts perspective on things. There is also an overwhelming sense of satisfaction by reading one entry, one day, for that specific day, throughout an entire year, starting on January 1st and ending on December 31st. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Apr 2, 2011 |
From Donne on Angels to Pepys on Nell Gwyn, there is something on every page of this day-by-day miscellany which will amuse or inform you. Some of the extracts are famous, like Captain Scott, himself dying, on the death of Oates during their Antarctic expedition; others will be new to all but the most erudite. A fine selection of illustrations complements the text. The only defect I can find is that although from its contents and beautifully readable print it would seem to be the ideal bedside book, it is just a bit too big and heavy. ( )
  gibbon | Sep 20, 2008 |
At least one reading for every day of the year. These texts are taken from journal and diary entries for the date. Some are 20th century, some centuries old. Some provide insight into daily life; some provide a 'you were there' view of historical events. Most are by Brits, but many are by other English speakers.

A nice volume to keep by your reading chair for a daily diversion, and to remind you of the importance of the ordinary, and the extraordinary events through which the ordinary, the famous, and the infamous have lived. Further illuminated by reproductions of relevant artwork at nearly every turn of the page. This remains always on my 'currenly reading' list.

Os. ( )
  Osbaldistone | Apr 18, 2008 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible