A FRIEND LIKE ANNABEL by Alan Davidson

This review is from: A FRIEND LIKE ANNABEL (Kindle Edition)
A Friend Like Annabel,by Alan Davidson - Did anyone edit this book? There are errors in every paragraph of the first page. It makes the book too annoying to read because many of the sentences make no sense. I strongly recommend a rewrite. I would not refer this book to anyone as it is now.
It may be a great story, once edited and published again. I could not finish reading as it is now. ( )
  ReneeRobinson | Apr 26, 2014 |
Annabel is a charming 13-year-old. She is a cross between Pippi Longstocking and Shelia Tubman (Judy Blume). Annabel is in no way perfect and this set of five stories is a fun look into the life of a 13-year-old small town girl. Annabel is invested with an energy and spirit that makes her simply good fun to read.

In “Annabel and the Duckling,” Annabel stumbles into the role of parent for a duckling. To her friends she grumbles and complains but the wealth of affection for the duckling is evident to readers of all ages. In this first story we’re told that Annabel’s parents have gained tolerance through experience and the reader, in that moment, has Annabel’s number.

The tone of writing is reminiscent of P.G. Wodehouse and Stella Gibbons. While there are positive themes in the novel, there are also negative. Annabel does lie, as children do. There’s no cursing or violence. Annabel is an excellent entry into the quality fiction market for younger children. I read of few of the stories that I like best to 11-year-old Alex and we discussed the themes. She loved the relationship between Alex and Kate finding Kate to be a very loyal and good friend. One of the stories we read was “Annabel and the Duckling” and she found that story to be adorable and sweet. Alex thought that Davidson set the scene perfectly and she could picture the annoyance but affection of the adults and the connection between Annabel and her unexpected follower. ( )
  TammyDewhirst | Aug 25, 2013 |
An anthology containing five short stories about Annabel Bunce and her best friend Kate Stocks.

1. Annabel and the Duckling
2. Who Dunnit?
3. Annabel and the Third Year Fiasco
4. Annabel Peacemaker
5. The Bunce Saga

All of the stories are well-written and humorous with plots that flow smoothly. Annabel is quite the character and Kate is the steady best friend. All are delightful reads. I especially liked the last story and the way it ended. lol

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Straw Hat for providing me with a review copy. Please see disclaimer page on my blog. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Apr 20, 2013 |
I thought I'd try out a new school series - Annabel. These are much more contemporary than the school series I usually read, having been written in the 80s. Annabel's school is quite different than any I've seen portrayed in fiction from that time period, which is not surprising since this is a British series. The adults are generally rather dim and there's more emphasis on boys than in older school series, of course.
Each of these volumes contains a series of short stories about Annabel, whose fertile imagination and crazy behavior makes most people steer clear of her, except for her best friend Kate. Annabel adopts a duck, nearly drowns her friend, goes on strike against school lunches, falls in love with a singer, and more. The stories are funny enough, in parts, although I see very little evidence to back up Kate and the narrator's claim that Annabel is brilliant. She thinks fast on her feet, but other than that is actually quite dumb about social situations and generally gets poor grades because she is so easily distracted.

Verdict: Light, fun reads for fans of school stories, but not a series I care strongly enough about to find the rest.

New, thinking Annabel
ISBN: 978-0670820450; Published September 1988 by Viking; Received through Bookmooch

Friend like Annabel
ISBN: 978-0583305945; Published February 1984 by Armada; Received through Bookmooch
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 13, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,006,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible