In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult…

In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus)

by Carl Honoré

"Living on the edge of exhaustion, we are constantly reminded by our bodies and minds that the pace of life is spinning out of control. In Praise of Slowness traces the history of our increasingly breathless relationship with time, and tackles the consequences and conundrum of living in this accelerated culture of our own creation. Why are we always in such a rush? What is the cure for time-sickness? Is it possible, or even desirable, to slow down? Realizing the price we pay for unrelenting speed, people all over the world are reclaiming their time and slowing down the pace - and living happier, more productive, and healthier lives as a result. A Slow revolution is taking place." "But here you will find no Luddite calls to overthrow technology and seek a pre-industrial utopia. This is a modern revolution, championed by e-mailing, cell phone-using lovers of sanity. The Slow philosophy can be summed up in a single word - balance. People are discovering energy and efficiency where we may have least expected - in slowing down." "In this engaging and entertaining exploration, award-winning journalist and rehabilitated speedaholic Carl Honore details our perennial love affair with efficiency and speed in a perfect blend of anecdotal reportage, history, and intellectual inquiry. In Praise of Slowness is the first comprehensive look at the worldwide Slow movements making their way into the mainstream - in offices, factories, neighborhoods, kitchens, hospitals, concert halls, bedrooms, gyms, and schools."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
amazon
4.2
goodreads
3.68
librarything
3.48 ( )
  cblupo | Jan 11, 2020 |
True to the name, the writing is slow to get to the point and the thoughts jump around from paragraph to paragraph. Its obvious that Honore did a lot of research, but not all of it has to be in every sentence. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
So, opposing the ideology of this book, I finished it in two days. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The underlying message also resonates with me since I don't like to rush, but I do like to be on time for things. This causes me to be under the thumb of Father Time more often than I would like.

The main thesis and idea of this book is that we are too obsessed with going as fast as possible; getting as much done in as short a time as we can. This is the plague of Western Culture, ever since the invention of sundials and clocks we started to be ruled by time, always consulting it. Everything people do is built around a schedule and since clocks became more accurate and vehicles became faster it has only gotten worse. With the invention of the internet and cell phone technology, now some people can't even go home to get away from their work. The author tells us that this is all very bad, since stress related hospital stays and illnesses are on the rise. Even healthcare is not immune to this, since there are so many patients to so few doctors. All in all this adds up to really terrible lifestyle choices and other things. So the author thinks to himself that he would like to try doing some things slowly and see how it goes. This is all brought on because he was thinking that really short 60-second bedtime stories were a good idea.

I thought this book could help me out with my obsession for going faster, and in it's own way it has. There are a number of suggestions that I could follow from the book, and going slower really does seem beneficial in the long run. It results in less stress and more satisfaction in life. In one chapter the author mentions the two systems of thinking and how the slower one is more creative and in-depth.

Generally I read books to become a better person, a more optimal version of myself. However, maybe I can do it without reading books so quickly. For instance, I couldn't remember the titles of the other books that I had read this year. Sure I could remember some of them, but not all of them. Perhaps I need to reevaluate how I take in information.

Or not. I probably won't act on any of this book's advice, but it was really interesting and gave me a lot of food for thought. Besides, I could always revisit this site to see what I had read. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I was a bit skeptical at first, and honestly, some of the chapters did seem to wrap up a bit too neatly. HOWEVER, it's a thought provoking book, and has certainly changed my driving habits.
  revliz | Nov 17, 2015 |
In Praise of Slowness makes an interesting companion book to another one I'm reading, Buddhism for Mothers. Both make arguments for slowing down one's pace of life and both make assumptions that the person reading the book must have a life similar to that of the author's. In the case of In Praise of Slowness I already live a fairly slow life, taking time to go the speed limit, not agressively driving, cooking most meals and eating at the table as a family. Part of my choice to live slower is one of economics. It is honestly cheaper to cook from scratch. It has also given a way for my son and I to bond — he loves to cook. The point is, while the book has some valid points it makes those points through numerous assumptions. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 17, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible