The Legend of Sleeping Bear by Kathy-jo…

The Legend of Sleeping Bear

by Kathy-jo Wargin

The legend of Sleeping Bear tells the story of a happy Mother Bear and her two cubs living near the Lake Michigan shore in Wisconsin, until a fire forces them to swim across Lake Michigan. The cubs do not make it to the other side, and Mother Bear waits atop a hill for them until the sands slowly cover over her. The great spirit of the land recognized her love for her children and raised them out of the water as two islands, the North and South Manitou Islands. The illustrations in this book are beautiful and I really enjoyed the author's creative interpretation of the legend. This book would be appropriate for grades 3-5 to discuss legends and possibly address the lay of the land before it was occupied by settlers.
  DanielleJorgenson | Nov 12, 2013 |
This has been a family favorite for years in my house. This beautifully illustrated tale of a mother's love for her two bear cubs is cleverly braided into the formation of one of Michigan's graceful landforms. It is a wonderful book of which mothers with two children can easily relate, but it is a story of all mothers' love for their children as well. I highly recommend this story for anyone to read. ( )
  katietwa08 | Dec 19, 2011 |
This was a sad yet well written book. When reading this book I was wondering what age group would you read this story too. I think it is a great book to build a discussion off of legends and folktales. I think the language use in this book is very sensitive, which is good for younger readers. ( )
  Trina08 | Dec 9, 2011 |
A well written book telling the folktale of the sleeping bear dunes. The pictures are absolutely breathtaking, incredibly drawn. It would be a great book to share during a unit on legends and folktales. ( )
  Khoffy | Dec 7, 2011 |
This book is a lovely version of the Legend of Sleeping Bear. Before the story, there is a description of what a legend is which I thought was nice to include because it is important for children to understand that this story is not factual on how the Manitou Islands were made. This story is very well done (kinda sad) and I loved the illustrations! ( )
  racheich | Jan 16, 2011 |
For all mothers, whose love and dedication will be rewarded.
Long, long ago, before voyageurs paddled canoes down rivers and streams, before mighty lumbermen cleared forests with sharp, shiny axes, before wooden ships carried sailors across great freshwater seas, there was a beautiful forest near the edge of a mighty lake,
My children, as the years may pass,
and time slips through our hands,
my love will linger near the shore
and in the blowing sands.

I'll send you kisses in the wind
to let you know I'm here,
sleeping near the water's edge,
I am always near.

My children, you can rest assured,
that we are now together,
and I am watching over you,
and loving you forever.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 188694735X, Hardcover)

The first in Sleeping Bear Press' Legend series preserves the Ojibwe's story of Sleeping Bear and her cubs. Selected as the "State of Michigan's Official Children's Book."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:43 -0400)

In this retelling of an Ojibwe Indian tale, a mother bear loses sight of her two cubs as they all attempt to escape a forest fire by swimming across Lake Michigan.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible