A heart like his by Beth Moore

A heart like his

by Beth Moore

Studying any part of the Bible is rewarding and life altering. This study was definitely that for me and so much more. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
one of the best Bible study books I've used!
  LindyHope | Mar 8, 2016 |
David was always my favorite character in bible stories. His simplicity as a boy and shepherd, his determination as an anointed by God, his complexity as a king, and above all, his love for God, those characteristics made him a very special person. And author Beth Moore capture all details of his personality in this wonderful and well written book. We clearly note the passion that Beth has for David and how well she introduce all stories related to this character, his Back Story, his friendship with Jonathan, his fight for survival from Saul's persecution, so every aspect of his life is described in details and in such a passionate way that we would have to cheer for David even if we did not like him. Although his life is full of struggles, he always kept his love for God.
The book is divided in 9 parts for a total of 52 chapters. Each Part has a Psalm as a theme and the chapters for that part develop the main theme or that part of David's story.
At the end of the book we find some Review Questions for us to meditate on the reading, and possible use them in a bible discussion group.
This was a magnificent effort from the author who put together this excellent book with a strong message, and I recommend it to the permanent library of any person who enjoys a good reading of biographical nature on a fascinating character. This book was written by Beth More and published by B&H Publishing Group originally in 1999, and was republished in 2003 and 2012, with the same name. The author was kind enough to provide me a copy for reviewing through Shelton Interactive and I was not asked to provide a positive feedback. Opinions here are my own. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
A story of David. His sins, his losses, and his heart like God's. Awesome book. ( )
  sally.wilson.94695 | Feb 3, 2015 |
NO OF PAGES: 297 SUB CAT I: Biblical Biography SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: In this extended reflection on the life of David, drawn from the accounts in the two books of Samuel and from the Psalms, author and self-described Sunday school teacher Beth Moore translates into plain and direct language the message she finds in this story of a shepherd boy who is chosen as God's own servant. Moore approaches these texts not as a scholar but as a believer. As the inclusion of review questions would suggest, her interest here is less historical and more immediately pragmatic: she wishes to see what David's life has to say to followers of Christ. Her reading is personal, yet supported by a study of the Hebrew and Greek texts--above all, the notes to the book suggest, through a number of Bible dictionaries and concordances. While apparently not well-versed in English poetry (she calls John Dryden a 16th-century philosopher when most would call him a 17th-century poet), the real appeal of the book for many will lie in its approachable style: the writing is direct, personal, and honest. She writes, she tells people, as a "regular" person who says, "I don't make Christ part of my life; He is my life."NOTES: Anonymous donation. SUBTITLE: Intimate Reflections on the Life of David
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805420355, Hardcover)

In this extended reflection on the life of David, drawn from the accounts in the two books of Samuel and from the Psalms, author and self-described Sunday school teacher Beth Moore translates into plain and direct language the message she finds in this story of a shepherd boy who is chosen as God's own servant. Moore approaches these texts not as a scholar but as a believer. As the inclusion of review questions would suggest, her interest here is less historical and more immediately pragmatic: she wishes to see what David's life has to say to followers of Christ. Her reading is personal, yet supported by a study of the Hebrew and Greek texts--above all, the notes to the book suggest, through a number of Bible dictionaries and concordances. While apparently not well-versed in English poetry (she calls John Dryden a 16th-century philosopher when most would call him a 17th-century poet), the real appeal of the book for many will lie in its approachable style: the writing is direct, personal, and honest. She writes, she tells people, as a "regular" person who says, "I don't make Christ part of my life; He is my life." --Doug Thorpe

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:13 -0400)

Would you like to know the heart of God? Come to know the "man after God's own." In this in-depth biblical biography, Beth Moore takes you on an intimate, exciting journey through virtually every astonishing episode of David's remarkable life. From shepherd, to refugee, to king of Israel, David exhibited the purest virtues and the most heinous sinfulness. But through it all, his relationship with the Lord continued to grow. A Heart LikeHis looks at this bond of mutual love and admiration from today's perspective and draws spiritual insight and understanding from a man who boldly fulfilled his divine destiny.Based on Scripture and Moore's probing insights into the romantic, mysterious, majestic life of David, A Heart Like His will show you how to serve God better by understanding our own unique place in His heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible