A Midwife's Story by Penny Armstrong

A Midwife's Story

by Penny Armstrong, Sheryl Feldman

I love these midwife stories. This one was more about the Amish with whom she worked. It didn't touch me in the same way that Blue Cotton Gown did. It is a very interesting look at the way women give birth in America and the way hospitals work versus home births. This comes from someone in the medical profession that was skeptical about home birthing until she started helping with them. A good read. Three and a half stars. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
memoirs of a midwife in the 1970’s practicing in Amish Country
  javaroast | Jun 20, 2011 |
What a wonderful story. Penny Armstrong shares her experience as a midwife. She started out with a very traditional nursing education in the hospital setting. From there, she moved into a rural area where she delivered babies for the Amish. She does a wonderful job portaying the Amish and their belief system. As a matter of fact I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the Amish. I would have wished for more detailed midwifery descriptions as in "The Baby Catcher". But she made up for that with her observations of how the medical community views (and sometimes even disrespects) laboring women and their choices. I found that very insightful and disturbing at the same time. Overall a great midwifery book! ( )
1 vote Lilac_Lily01 | Jun 1, 2009 |
I've read this one several times, and learn something new each time! ( )
  Dellicious | Dec 23, 2007 |
True stories of her midwifery practice. Interesting. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Jan 22, 2007 |

Penny Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Feldman, Sherylmain authorall editionsconfirmed

This book has a bit of personal history for me. After reading it in Massachusetts during my 3rd pregnancy we moved to Pennsylvania. I immediately began looking for Penny. Another midwife in her practice, Pat, delivered my 3rd son in our home in Millersville.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0804101787, Mass Market Paperback)

She works by the light of kerosene lamps, without fetal monitoring systems, X rays, surgeons, or anesthesiologists. The nearest phone is several fields away.

From the moment her own phone rings until she delivers the newborn into its mother's arms, each birth is different, and each is thrilling. To share the excitement of birth among the gentle, Old-Order Amish of Lancaster Count, Pennsylvania, is to experience a special thrill, a timeless grace. It is also to gain a new awareness of the quality of the birth experience, the difference between natural births at home and impersonal hospital deliveries.

Funny and wise, with intervals of nerve-wracking tension, A Midwife's Story is unique, a revelation of a very special place and an extraordinary life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:02 -0400)

A moving, fascinating memoir of Penny Armstrongs years as midwife to an Amish community in rural Pennsylvania.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible