Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

Grave Surprise (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Charlaine Harris

Member:bikermice
Title:Grave Surprise
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Info:Berkley (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:"Harper Connelly" lightning "see dead people" Tolliver

Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris (2006)

Recently added byrena75, private library, hotmama1011

English (85)  Italian (1)  All languages (86)
The second instalment in this series does not disappoint. This book follows on nicely from [Grave Sight] and continues to develop the main characters, Harper and Tolliver. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 13, 2019 |
Can I just say WOW?!?! I loved this book. I know it is just the graphic novel, but I thought it was great. I really was guessing through the whole book who could of done it. The reason behind it just blew me away. Never in a million years who I have thought someone would have done that for the reason that it was done. WOW WOW WOW ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Jan 1, 2019 |
A quickly read compact mystery where the central character is a lightning struck young women who finds the bodies of the dead and can tell the cause of death. The only real suspense was wondering whether the author was making an obvious suspect as a distraction, but nope. Pretty good characters dealing with the non-natural element in their lives tale. ( )
  quondame | Nov 5, 2018 |
Grave Surprise
4 Stars

Harper and her stepbrother, Tolliver, arrive in Memphis at the behest of an anthropology professor determined to debunk Harper's abilities and expose her as a charlatan. Imagine his surprise when Harper senses two corpses in a centuries old grave - one the body of Tabitha Morgenstern, a young girl who Harper was hired to find two year prior. Once again, Harper is the prime suspect and must undertake her own investigation to clear her name.

A charming cozy mystery with a touch of the paranormal.

Let’s get the elephant in the room out of the way first. In this installment, Harper comes to the realization that she has more than sisterly feelings for her stepbrother. This is a significant issue for many reviewers as, for them, it is indicative of one of the oldest taboos - incest. Personally, I don’t see it that way as Harper and Tolliver are NOT related by blood. Their parents married when the two were in their teens and it is clear that they did not spend their formative years as siblings. Moreover, it is obvious even in book #1 that they share a closeness that goes beyond the brother/sister relationship, and as such this development is not surprising.

Back to the plot - the mystery is good albeit rather predictable as the identity of the killer and the motivation become obvious once the clues begin accumulating. Nevertheless, the climax is tense and the resolution satisfying.

Harper is a difficult heroine to categorize as her brusqueness could be interpreted as callous disregard and coldness. However, her tough veneer conceals a soft hearted woman who truly cares about both the living and the dead. She feels that it is her responsibility to provide them with the closure they are entitled to.

In terms of the audiobook narration, Alyssa Bresnahan does an excellent job. She manages to capture the nuances of Harper’s personality and those of the other characters very well.

In sum, Grave Surprise is an entertaining listen and I look forward to finding out what is in store next for Harper and Tolliver. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Decided since I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books so much I read through them twice in a row, I should try one of Ms. Harris' other series. Didn't have the first one in this series, so I started here.

It was OK. As always Ms. Harris does an expert job with her characters, they really seem like real people and are interesting.

To me the plot was just a little boring. Guess I missed the life and death of dealing with vampires and werewolves.

I'm not a big mystery reader, as in I can't think of another mystery I've read, so that probably had a big influence on my enjoyment. ( )
  rondavis | Apr 18, 2018 |

Charlaine Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bresnahan, AlyssaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to a tiny minority of the American population: people who have survived a lightning strike. Members of a small and exclusive club, some of these survivors spend the rest of their lives trying to convince doctors of the validity of the myriad of ongoing problems plaguing them. The other survivors simply try to go on with their lives, though they’re invariably altered by the experience. I wish you all freedom from pain and anxiety, and I thank you for letting me share your experiences.
I didn't like Clyde Nunley the first time I met him face-to-face in the old cemetary.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425214702, Mass Market Paperback)

While in Memphis, psychic Harper Connelly senses-and finds-two bodies in a grave. One of a man centuries-dead. The other, a girl, recently deceased. Harper's investigation yields another surprise: the next morning, a third body is found-in the very same grave.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:35 -0400)

While giving a college class a demonstration of her unique talent to find the dead and see their final moments of life, Harper Connelly is stunned to discover two bodies in a single grave.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,545,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible