Inside the Kingdom by Carmen Bin Ladin

Inside the Kingdom (edition 2005)

by Carmen Bin Ladin

Member:Unreflected
Title:Inside the Kingdom
Authors:Carmen Bin Ladin
Info:Warner Books (2005), Edition: Revised edition., Paperback
Rating:***1/2

Inside the Kingdom: My Life in Saudi Arabia by Carmen Bin Ladin

The author was Osama Bin Ladin's sister-in-law. A New York Times review of the book reads: "If you want to beat Osama, you've got the start by listening to Carmen."

Well, the book does nothing of the sort -- spill the beans on Osama that is. Instead it is an exposé of her restricted life, behind the veil, married into the Bin Laden clan.

This is a quick read, compared to Jean Sasson's 'Princess Sultana' (3-book) series, which expounds in greater detail the lives of women in Saudi Arabia, the religious fundamentalism that pervades the country, and told from the perspective of a member of the Al-Saud royal family. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I'm not a Biblical scholar or an authority on the history of the English language although both subjects are of interest to me. This is not a book for those looking to discredit Bible translation as a way to discredit Christian faith. Obviously, the author has a great deal of respect for those that took on this task. However, he doesn't shrink from telling all the "dirty laundry" associated with the translation and the acceptance of the KJV. If we think politics and religion get all mixed up today, we only have to read this to find that there is nothing new in the world.

All in all, I found this book interesting, easy to read (except for a few places), and enlightening. ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
on Friday, December 19, 2008

Finished it last night (Dec.18) . Guess what I loved her conclusion, the last chapter and she has given me a sentence I want to remember cause I totally agree with it.

They will use our tolerance to infiltrate our society with there intolerance.
This is so true. The Netherlands is well known for its tolerance but it slowly is giving away because we have let so many people into our country who now want us to change and do not like all the freedoms we have!

Now about the book. I've read more books about women in Islamic culture and her life is very mild compared to the others. I think is interesting because she is one of the rich ones , her link to the Osama family , although you hardly hear anything about the main person of that horrible family, and of course the Princes.

Like Rosie i am also going to search for some more info on google now.

Which prince is now in power for instance. Is it the one she mentioned the more conservative one? Abdallah? I see the one reigning is called Abdulah

? 8.5

Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
NO OF PAGES: 206 SUB CAT I: Islam SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Osama bin Laden's former sister-in-law provides a penetrating, unusually inti- mate look into Saudi soci-ety and the bin Laden family's role within it, as well as the treatment of Saudi women. On September 11th, 2001, Carmen bin Ladin heard the news that the Twin Towers had been struck. She instinctively knew that her ex-brother-in-law was involved in these hor-rifying acts of terrorism, and her heart went out to America. She also knew that her life and the lives of her family would never be the same again. Carmen bin Ladin, half Swiss and half Persian, married into-and later divorced from-the bin Laden family and found herself inside a complex and vast clan, part of a society that she neither knew nor understood. Her story takes us inside the bin Laden family and one of the most powerful, secretive, and repressed kingdoms in the world.NOTES: Purchased from the Amazon Marketplace. SUBTITLE: My Life in Saudi Arabia
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
Coll, who spent 2 years writing his book on the Bin Ladin family refers to this book frequently, and it is my impression that Carmen Bin Ladin's book is a useful, if small addition to accumulating information about Osama himself. She places him within the family at a particular tijme from a sister-in-law's views. Her personal story of a good marriage that failed under the stresses of an international life with children in the late 20th early 21st century, sad, but nor remarkable.

My sense from this book and Coll's book is that Carmen as well as the rest of the very large family of sibliings and in-laws has changing views of their brother over time and are probably still trying to discover their own livews.
  carterchristian1 | Nov 21, 2010 |

She Married Osama Bin Laden's Brother. Now She Dares to Tell Her Story. This international bestseller gives the shocking account of what it's like to be a woman-even a wealthy woman from a privileged family-in Saudi Arabia today. In an unprecedented act, Carmen Bin Ladin dares to throw off the veil that conceals one of the most powerful, secretive, and repressive countries in the world-and the Bin Laden family's role within it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

A former sister-in-law of Osama bin Ladin describes her experiences of marrying into and divorcing from the bin Ladin family, her witness to the clan's complex and secretive ways, and her sorrow over the September 11 attacks.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible