Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen

Buddhism Plain and Simple

by Steve Hagen

An excellent resource for those interested in exploring Buddhism at its most basic level.

As the title suggests, this book attempts to introduce the reader to the basic ideas and principles of Buddhism in as plain and straightforward a manner as possible. Hagen strips away the cultural and historical frameworks that normally obscure Buddhist studies and addresses the simple core of his subject in a truly remarkable way. This book does a superb job of laying out a basic foundation of Buddhist philosophy that is accessable to a western audience. ( )
  tsias | May 5, 2010 |
I will always hold this book dear, & near to me.WOW, worth readin.
  kitber | Dec 31, 2009 |
A wonderful starter book for anyone interested in buddhism. Hagen does his best at explaining that which cannot be explained and succeeds sufficiently to get the curious beginner on the right path without scaring them away with romantic mysticism. ( )
  mrskarmadillo | Feb 1, 2009 |
As I read this book on the beach, a woman asked me if it was good. "Is it understandable?" she asked. I told her that yes, it was - it was the best book I'd read on the subject so far.

The closer I got to the end of the book, though, the harder I had to work at understanding - and the harder you try to understand, the further you are from Seeing. So I am not yet enlightened.

I do recommend this book for anyone interested in Zen Buddhism. The subject may be plain and simple, but human nature makes it slippery. ( )
  ireed110 | Aug 16, 2008 |
With gratitude I dedicate this book to all beings.
As the new millennium dawns, most of us have lost faith in our ancient storybook versions of the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767903323, Paperback)

You might want to digest this book slowly, a few pages at a time. Although Zen teacher Steve Hagen has a knack for putting the philosophy of Buddhism in a "plain and simple" package, it may take a while to sink in. There is so much there. Seeing reality, realizing the wisdom of the self, breaking free of dualistic thinking--this is pretty heady stuff. Thankfully, Hagen passes it along in the form of examples from life, psychological tidbits, and stories from Buddhist teachers past and present. And when it clicks in, it can be life-transforming. Hagen explains this shift in outlook and how the fundamental way we look at the world affects everything we do. As an outline, Hagen follows the basic teachings of the Buddha, and we see that, rather than dogmatic truths, they are reminders for us as we reconsider the life we have taken for granted for so long. As it turns out, Buddhism is life, plain and simple. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:21 -0400)

For those readers approaching Buddhism for the first time, or those who have long been practising, this book offers invaluable, clear insights into the heart of Buddhism.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible