Castles by Julie Garwood

Title:Castles
Authors:Julie Garwood
Info:Pocket (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Castles by Julie Garwood

English (8)  German (1)  All (9)
I'm actually shocked by how much I enjoyed this considering how deeply I hated the first of the quartet.

Also, probably, because I was prepared for the hero being a bit of a controlling douchenozzle. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
4th in the series. Garwood always manages to make the books in this series eye rolling stupid and funny and campy. ( )
  lesmel | Oct 24, 2014 |
After Rowena reviewed this I kept thinking about it and decided I had to re-read. While I enjoyed parts of it, I'd forgotten that this is one of my least favorite books.

Colin acts like such a condescending jerk to Alesandra most of the time I found I was just annoyed with him. He doesn't give her the credit she deserves for anything. While that was cute in the beginning, the longer his attitude wore on the less I enjoyed the book. By the time he realizes his mistakes and apologizes, I'd had enough of his high handed ways. Especially since he constantly "forbids" Alesandra from doing things.

For her part Alesandra was a good heroine, but I felt she became somewhat of a doormat toward the end. The way she constantly gave in frustrated me.

There are some wonderfully humorous and/or touching moments, but they weren't enough to save the story for me. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
Fun Julie Garwood Regency with all the winsome humor I've come to expect from her. This wraps up her Crown Spies series, which was really delightful! I highly recommend the whole series! Alesandra and Colin make a good couple here and she is another adorable JG heroine who drives her alpha husband crazy! As usual, Colin is not ready to fall in love, but falls for Alesandra anyway. She is amazingly beautiful - and a princess! She also happens to have a lot of hidden talents as well - as is so often the case with Garwood's heroines. Despite Colin's reluctance to admit he's in love, she bides her time, she knows he loves her and he'll let her know when he's ready. She is confident of this and thankfully, the storyline didn't turn into some sort of melodramatic hand wringing "you don't love me!" sort of thing - although there was the usual tension, attempted kidnappings, but that's Garwood fare. The humor made it! ( )
  ktleyed | Dec 3, 2012 |
I really enjoyed it until the end when it had this weird scene in it. Really gruesome and gratuitous. ( )
  sleepydumpling | Apr 18, 2009 |

Orphaned and besieged Princess Alesandra knew that only hasty marriage to an Englishman could protect her from the turmoil in her own land. To the amusement of her makeshift guardian, Sir Colin Hallbrook, younger brother of the Marquess of Caineswood, the bold raven-haired beauty instantly captivated London society. But when Alesandra was nearly abducted by her unscrupulous countrymen, the fighting instincts that won Colin a knighthood for valor were rekindled.

Deceiving himself that he wanted only to protect her, Colin swept her into a union meant to be a marriage in name alone... yet Alesandra's tender first kiss and hesitant caress ignited a wildfire in his soul. As the lovely princess dashed headlong into unforeseen dangers, Colin would follow, knowing he must claim her as his own forever. Now he would risk life itself before he would lose this sweet, tempestuous angel....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671744208, Mass Market Paperback)

Orpahned and besieged, Princess Alesandra knew that only hasty marriage to an Englishman could protect her from the turmoil in her own land. To the amusement of her makeshift guardian, Colin, younger brother of the Marquess of Cainewood, the bold raven-haired beauty instantly captivated London society. But when Alesandra was nearly abducted by her unscrupulous countrymen, the fighting instincts that won Colin a knighthood for valor were kindled.

Deceiving himself that he wanted only to protect her, Colin swept her into a union meant to be a marriage in name alone...yet Alesandra's tender first kiss and hesitant caress ignited a wildfire in his soul. As the lovely princess dashed headlong into unforseen dangers, Colin would follow, knowing he must claim her as his own forever. Now he would risk life itself before he would lose this sweet, tempestuous angel...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:46 -0400)

Orphaned and besieged, Princess Alesandra is certain that a hasty marriage to an Englishman is the only thing that can protect her, but soon she catches the eye of Colin, the younger brother of her guardian.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,638,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible