Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, Book 2) by…

Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Marjorie M. Liu (Author)

Member:dustydigger
Title:Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, Book 2)
Authors:Marjorie M. Liu (Author)
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, 320 pages
Rating:***
Tags:urban fantasy, 2011 : my reads, marjorie m. liu

Darkness Calls by Marjorie Liu

dark ( )
  Janicemo | Jul 10, 2016 |
Wasn't bad but this series has failed to grab me. Preferred the first book. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Hunter Kiss series, surprisingly enough, while the first one dragged it actually felt like something was happening. In Darkness Calls the story didn't drag quite so much, but it also felt like not a lot transpired. Part of the problem is that while Liu does a great job with description and building out the world and characters the lead, Maxine, has no personality of her own. The supporting characters in the novel have much more draw and throughout the story you'd much rather it come from one of them than her.

The two characters that finally made the first book a little bit fun and interesting for me, Orturu and Tracker were absent in this book leaving only the little demons really retaining my interest at all. I won't be going on in the series, this book left off at a spot that I can consider an ending for me. I don't have any questions about what will happen and frankly didn't build enough interest to continue to care about the characters welfare. ( )
  Babyfro | Jan 6, 2011 |
Darkness Calls begins shortly after the ending of The Iron Hunt, the first book in the Hunter Kiss Series. You will find the same exquisite story telling style that was displayed in The Iron Hunt, and the action is pretty much non-stop from start to finish, gritty and dark in nature as before, moving at a faster clip than the first book. A couple of new characters are introduced, helping spice up the storyline and some answers are given to the questions left dangling from the first book.

I want to say, I adore the boys! The boys, Maxine's living, demon tattoos, are indestructible, sharp as obsidian, yet soft and adorable at the same time. It depends on if they consider you friend or foe, which side of them you get to see. I loved how the boys would hum a Bon Jovi song that would fit the situation at hand throughout the book. It helped heighten the drama and give you a feel for that scene.

"Their tiny claws pricked my skin like kneading cats, and their soft, high-pitched hum of Bon Jovi's "Social Disease" filled the air."

Maxine's and Grant's roles are almost a reversal from the usual boy/girl relationship. Usually, you see the guy as the dark, brooding, kick your ass personality in the relationship but not here. That's Maxine's role. Don't interpret that as Grant is a pansy because he's not. Grant can definitely take care of his own and then some. Grant is Maxine's lighthouse when the waters are dark and rough.

This series should be read in order, especially since The Iron Hunt sets the back story for the Hunter Kiss Series. As you can probably tell, I'm hooked on the Hunter Kiss Series, I'll be looking for the next novel when it comes out. ( )
  FantasyDreamer | Jul 6, 2010 |
Though my soul may set in darkness,

It will rise in perfect light;

I have loved the stars too fondly

to be fearful of the night.

—Sarah Williams, “The Old Astronomer to His Pupil”
For the nomads, the rootless, and the free...

"Nomad born and bred, demon hunter Maxine Kiss has always relied upon herself to fight the darkness that surrounds her, the predators--human, zombie, and otherwise--who threaten the earth. But one man has penetrated her lonely life: Grant, the last of his kind. With the ability to manipulate energy, he can control any living creature including demons. And now his life is in danger. Haunted by the past, determined to change the future, Maxine soon understands that to save Grant, she has only one choice--to lose control and release her own powers of darkness."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,479,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible