Forever... by Jude Deveraux
Recently added byJudithDCollins

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
I believe one of the best descriptions of this book is part of the blurb on the back cover, "Now, this superb storyteller mixes the flavor of a classic fairy tale with a very modern love story -set in a town locked in the shadows of an abiding evil- in the imaginative new novel.

The evil is most definitely similar to the classic evil and very vain queen in the fairy tale, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" who owns a magic mirror and each day must consult it by asking, "Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?" In this novel, the evil character is Beatrice and she too has a magic mirror.

The character of good and hope is Darci T. Monroe. Darci becomes the personal assistant to a young man named Adam Montgomery. Adam's personal assistant isn't quite what he expected her to be and as he hired a personal assistant to help make an important discovery related to his past, he isn't quite prepared for all that Darci brings to his life. The reader will follow Darci and Adam on their adventure and become engrossed in a world of a coven of witches, and the uses of clairvoyance and "True Persuasion".

This is not my typical choice of subject matter to read even in novel format. I think it is credit to the author's storytelling that I did finish the novel. I certainly believe that there are other readers who might enjoy it more than me. I think some of the critical acclsim for this novel belongs to the marketing department who carefully and cleverly avoided the use of description of the magic mirror, witches, clairvoyance, etc. in the marketing blurbs as I am probably just one of many that wouldn't have even picked up the book.

Corduroy7 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Full review originally posted on Reader's Edyn (blogspot)

...I bought the trilogy wanting only to read it because it was written by Ms. Deveraux. I have read nearly all of her books and had been wanting to read this series for quite some time. Initially, I did not know what to expect. I knew that it was a series and I knew that it was not one of the beloved HRs that I traditionally enjoy. Honestly, after reading the prologue, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it anymore or not because the introductory story was so dark and creepy. But I pressed on and was ultimately glad that I did. I think that my brief time spent with Darci when I read HOLLY helped keep me motivated in starting this series because I remembered her ability and liking her character. I was not wrong in my initial estimation; taking a liking to her almost immediately. She is fun and quirky and has a whole different outlook on life than any other character I had ever encountered before.

Darci T. Monroe ~ she is nothing short of mystifying in her way of thinking and quirky behaviors. She has seen a lot in her short life and despite the evil she has seen in people, she still looks for the good in everyone and everything. She is kind by nature and is always looking for ways to hep others; even if they have no idea she is actually helping them. Darci applies what she calls her True Persuasion to people and events in an effort to influence outcomes to the way she wants them. She genuinely and naively believes that anyone is capable of such a thing. She needs a job fast and she needs a lot of money so she applies to work for Adam Montgomery. The dark and dangerous journey she begins with him exposes her to horrors she never knew existed which is periodically quelled by her attraction to Adam and the goofy antics she cooks up to make him want her. Their attraction is a much needed respite from the unspeakable truths they uncover. Along the way, they develop a closeness and even discover many facts abut Darci's heritage that she could never have imagined.

Adam Montgomery has experienced indescribable horrors and survived them; at a cost. He has always felt the outsider despite his enormous family that took him in. Fueled by a fierce determination to find the truth of his tortured childhood, he discovers Darci and finds that she is the key to his success of unlocking many unanswered questions that have always hovered far out of his grasp. Hardened against allowing himself luxuries such as relaxing, enjoying almost nothing; especially not something like love, he finds his defenses challenged continually by the little snippet of a girl now in his employ. Her carefree attitude and silliness eventually wears him down and before long he is almost envious of her ability to enjoy life and longs for more from her. But he knows something she does not and can not, under any circumstances, allow himself to act on the feelings he develops.

I had no trouble at all rooting for this couple and wanting to see them succeed in their quest to bring evil to justice. And it truly is evil. Several parts are a bit confusing given Darci's penchant for leaving out details and embellishing half truths, but everything eventually comes to light and makes sense. Adam is a bit of a stick in the mud, but Darci compliments his deficiencies almost to an extreme, albeit in an entertaining way. I ended up wondering what her next stunt would be and how she would try to pinch more pennies along the way. Her obsession with saving money becomes almost comical given Adam's deep pockets. My only problem with the story was that the end hit quick and wrapped up neatly with a serious lack of detail. It was like, oh, the face off! And then, what the hell? It is over? Seriously? That bugged me. And it very nearly ruined the whole book. But the epilogue saved it because it gave me a glimpse of what was coming next. Or at least I think so. One thing that surprised me was that there was no sexual encounters to speak of. There were several comments made by Darci in her attempts to snare Adam, but never the actual act, which was unexpected given the previous stories I have read from Ms. Deveraux. And of course there was Adam's moments of temptation, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with that as well because I really wanted Adam to let loose and get the past off of his back, then jump on Darci and show her what he was really capable of.

Overall, this book was a good read if a bit dark what with the evil witch that Adam and Darci have to go after. And with the lack of descriptive sex, I can recommend it to others that I know wouldn't read that sort of thing. I just hope I see a little more of the Deveraux style I have come to love in the next book. Had I not known she wrote it, I wouldn't have guessed it otherwise. I can't call it one of her best, but I still found it enjoyable and entertaining.

(Paperback purchased for personal library.) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Apr 8, 2014 |
This one was okay. I don't usually enjoy books based on witchcraft, but the main characters developed eventually to be enjoyable. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 19, 2014 |
I originally picked up Forever... by Jude Deveraux because it appeared suspensful and paranormal. However, it turned out not to be quite what I expected. The story is about a man who, in trying to discover what caused his parent's disappearance, employes a virgin who is able to "see" the future and past in a magical mirror. Along the way, both discover that they have similarities in their orphaned childhoods and they develop a relationship that goes beyond professional. Joining them later is the long lost father and sister who come in and help save the town from a coven of witches, and then they all end up one big happy family.
Overall, it took me a while to get through this book because the suspense factor just wasn't there. The storyline was mediocre, but I did appreciate the twist on the classic fairy tale. And just when the story began to climax, the author jumped "one year later..." and cut off the suspense. So, although I did think it worth finishing, I am not in a hurry to recommend it as a great read. It was just okay. ( )
  TammyPhillips | Jan 12, 2011 |
Typically I love Ms. Deveraux's novels. However, this one just didn't do anything for me. The storyline was so-so, the characters were unrealistic, and it seemed to be missing something. I kept reading, thinking that something would happen that would ensnare me at any moment. Instead, I read the whole book wondering when the good part was going to come along. Over all, I was very disappointed in this book. ( )
  KitCatJMS | Jan 24, 2009 |

Darci Monroe overcame a childhood of neglect with an ebullient spirit, a positive attitude ... and extraordinary determination. Now the resourceful young woman, hired as Adam Montgomery's personal assistant, devotes more than just professional attention to this devastatingly handsome millionaire. But one thing bars Adam from accepting Darci's love: he is intent on discovering the secret of his parents' disappearance, for she possesses the otherworldly abilities needed to help him fight a terrifying mistress of the dark arts. What Darci ends up offering is a gift greater than Adam ever hoped for, for Darci loves with all her heart, and all her soul, forever...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067101420X, Mass Market Paperback)

From A Knight in Shining Armor to The Mulberry Tree, Jude Deveraux's bestsellers sparkle with stunning originality, heartfelt wit, and adventurous passion. Now, this superb storyteller mixes the flavor of a classic fairy tale with a very modern love story -- set in a town locked in the shadows of an abiding evil -- in this imaginative new novel.

Forever...

Darci Monroe overcame a childhood of neglect with an ebullient spirit, a positive attitude...and extraordinary determination. Now the resourceful young woman, hired as Adam Montgomery's personal assistant, devotes more than just professional attention to this devastatingly handsome millionaire. But one thing bars Adam from accepting Darci's love: he is intent on discovering the secret of his parents' disappearance, for she possesses the otherworldly abilities needed to help him fight a terrifying mistress of the dark arts. What Darci ends up offering is a gift greater than Adam ever hoped for, for Darci loves with all her heart, and all her soul, forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:14 -0400)

A man hires a young woman with unusual powers to help him destroy a murderous coven of witches who are holding his sister prisoner.

Jude Deveraux is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible