Criminal Damage by Margaret Yorke

Criminal Damage

by Margaret Yorke

I have enjoyed every book by Margaret Yorke that I have been able to get my hands on and Criminal Damage was no exception although it was a rather slow moving story. The plot revolves around a rather prim and reserved widow and her grown children. The suspense builds slowly and I was surprised a couple of times with the direction the story took. The author developed an atmosphere of psychological tension but when things finally start to happen, the tension serves to give each character a reason to examine and make changes to their lives.

A prolific writer, with her first book published in 1957 and her last in 2001, so far I have found her books to be varied and full of unusual twists and turns. In Criminal Damage she creates an interesting cast and uses robbery, obsessive love and violence to keep the action moving but ultimately this is a story about traumatic family relationships and the damage they can do. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 18, 2017 |
I should have known better, since I read one of Yorke’s books before and found it boring and tedious. This one wasn’t much better – no plot, no point and definitely no suspense. I will be avoiding this author scrupulously from now on. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 24, 2012 |
Every Margaret Yorke I pick up is another good escapist mystery, steeped in the English country village Agatha Christie genre with a little psychological edge of Ruth Rendell. A young woman, abandoned by her long term boyfriend, develops a dangerous obsession with his new girlfriend. As she is developing her skills as a stalker, and refusing to listen to her lawyer she is distracted by a visit to her mother back to the suburban community outside London which seems so safe. Looks can be deceiving. Enjoy this book on a cold night with a blanket. ( )
  bhowell | Sep 1, 2008 |

Something murderous is about to happen in Middle Bardolph. The sunny village seems as neat and proper as the orderly life of Mrs. Newton, the grey-haired widow in an impeccably kept house. Yet acts of greed and obsession are about to turn Mrs. Newton's prim life upside-down. Unbeknownst to her, an ex-convict and some unsavoury associates have moved in next door, her recently-jilted grown daughter is going dangerously mad with grief, and her middle-aged son is so desperate for his inheritance he just may try to collect it prematurely. Any of the above could endanger an elderly lady's life, but there is more. . .

"Mrs. Newton, a widow, enjoys a quiet and determinedly tidy life in the picturesque English village of Middle Bardolph, but storms are brewing that seem likely to unsettle it. Geoffrey, her boring and not very pleasant son, thinks his mother should underwrite the larger home his ambitious wife demands. Temperamental daughter Jennifer is increasingly obsessed with her former lover and his new fiancee and seems bent on disrupting their lives"--Publishers Weekly.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible