Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by…

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth

by Chris Ware, Chris Ware

English (38)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
I don't know. The style and layout of the book were utterly fascinating, yet the story just did not get to me. From my understanding, it was slightly autobiographical with the liberty of fictional characters and additional storylines, yet often times, when I wasn't paying attention 100%, I would get lost in whether I was in the past or present, "reality" or imagination, or who the focus was on. I don't want to say I did not like it, yet I don't feel as if I would want to ever read this again. Perhaps it was the overall depressing tone all of the stories had at once that perturbed me. I wanted to like, support, and care for Jimmy, but I found it harder to do so when he did not seem like he could give himself any credit at all. All I can say is that I hope what happens in Jimmy's life with Tammy will develop into something beneficial for him. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Wow, that was bleak. Beautiful, detailed, human, inspired but bleak. ( )
  deckehoe | Nov 27, 2015 |
Ideal para refrear quaisquer alegrias exacerbadas ou estados de ânimo dados a contentamento existencial. Até o Super-Homem sofre este sopapo de realidade logo no início do livro:

Chris Ware sabe como expor a angústia solitária à empatia do leitor, e envolvê-lo no turbilhão-calmo-regrado-e-revisto em que arruma dois Jimmies com um século de permeio e um outro que é «excepção à regra feita regra», permitindo o transporte entre ambos.

A solidão, a vacuidade, a angústia da rejeição e inexorável falta de pertença calham aqui a ser desenhadas de forma absolutamente magistral e inusitada, dos padrões sombrios às redenções da imaginação e da obra humana, tudo arrumado e devidamente mapeado, incluindo instruções de montagem e formato de referência.

Uma obra-prima.

Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |
I thought this book was going to be a real winner. The reviews on the inside cover included praise from Dave Eggers and David Sedaris among others. The story takes place at a number of different time periods, so it gets a little confusing as to who is who, because you have to rely visually on knowing what a young Jimmy Corrigan looks like versus what his grandfather looked like as a boy, etc. What I love about graphic novels is that so often this happens completely effortlessly. Your eyes take in the words and the images simultaneously and before you know it you are having a beautiful experience within the pages of the book without any awareness of how your brain is putting it all together. That didn't happen for me in this book. I had to consciously look closely at character's faces to figure out who was who, and look at the background to determine in what time period the scene was taking place. That took the magic away for me. There were moments of the book I really enjoyed, but overall it was fairly lackluster. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Well... I must admit that I read this in one sitting, but I felt awful when I finished. Actually, I did while reading it too! It kept my attention, which is a positive in my opinion, but wow!, I just don't know what words to use to describe this book... ( )
  patsaintsfan | May 23, 2014 |
Some will find Jimmy Corrigan slow and depressing; they will be wrong. It is thrilling, moving, profoundly sympathetic — and it is the most beautiful-looking book of the year.

In Ware's world, lost boys grow up (or fail to do so), turning into lost men. Grey waves of depression cascade endlessly down though lost generations. No feel- good endings here: what prevents the bleakness of Ware's vision from overwhelming the reader in a flood of cosmic pessimism is the sheer craftsmanship, imagination, inventiveness and compassion with which it is realised.

While so many similar projects are little more than strings of striking images, Jimmy Corrigan forces you to pause, flick back a few pages and read again, rewarding you with another insight, another overdue connection. It is a rare and uplifting example of an artistic vision pushed to the limits.

Chris Wareprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ware, Chrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
DEDICATION (dĕd'ə-kā'shən) n. In this semi-autobiographical work of fiction, I fear I may have potentially impugned (at least, perhaps, in a careless, reader's comprehension of the book) some "real life" alter-egos, most notable of whom might be my mother, who, being thoughtful, intelligent, and supportive woman thus bears no resemblance whatsoever to the miserable wretch who dominates poor Jimmy. As such, this book is dedicated to her, especially as it is wholly characterized by her absence.
Jimmy, come ON!

This first book from Chicago author Chris Ware is a pleasantly-decorated view at a lonely and emotionally-impaired "everyman" (Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth), who is provided, at age 36, the opportunity to meet his father for the first time. An improvisatory romance which gingerly deports itself between 1890's Chicago and 1980's small town Michigan, the reader is helped along by thousands of colored illustrations and diagrams, which, when read rapidly in sequence, provide a convincing illusion of life and movement. The bulk of the work is supported by fold-out instructions, an index, paper cut-outs, and a brief apology, all of which concrete to form a rich portrait of a man stunted by a paralyzing fear of being disliked.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:06 -0400)

Jimmy is an awkward and cheerless character with an overbearing mother and a very limited social life. Jimmy attempts to escape his unhappiness via an active imagination that gets him into awkward situations. A parallel story set in the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 shows Jimmy's grandfather as a lonely little boy and his difficult relationship with an abusive father, Jimmy's great grandfather. Another storyline shows Jimmy as a lonesome child of divorce, suggesting that this was Jimmy's "real" childhood, while his "Smartest Kid on Earth" adventures are probably his fantasies.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible