dismiss

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (1996)

by Helen Fielding

Series: Bridget Jones (01)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Slightly Single by Wendy Markham (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (221)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (235)
A fun, quick, quirky read. Bridget is often so dysfunctional you can't help but laugh even as you cringe. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
An English single girl chronicles a year in her life in diary form. Covers life, love, cooking, and eccentric parents as well as a dash of shagging. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

I watched the movie and the sequel because these are the favourite movies of some of my friends. I got interested enough to read the book.

Romance books isn't a genre in my comfort zone. I've very few experience with it, and don't seem to find books I truly find engaging in this genre. Doesn't mean I don't try it every once in a while.

I know that a lot of people like Bridget Jones and some went crazy over Mad About The Boy (Pun intended :P ).

For me, Bridget Jones's Diary wasn't really working for me. I guess the translation I read didn't help because it felt forced like it was trying to bring over the jokes from the English edition and utterly failing to do so.

Perhaps I didn't really like it because I'd already seen the movies, I'm not sure, but I didn't feel like reading the other books. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Third time I’ve read it. Still funny, still relatable. ( )
  Ruth72 | Nov 10, 2019 |
I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and this book is a modern interpretation. While I enjoyed the movies, I read the book before they were released and recently re-read it again now. It is laugh out loud funny and something you can really relate to. Bridget Jones is a character you can truly root for. She's flawed and a little bit crazy sometimes, but who isn't? This book has moments that will make you swoon, cry, and laugh until your sides hurt. It is a book I will continue to read over and over again. ( )
  AmyKoto | Jul 22, 2019 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.
It struck me as pretty ridiculous to be called Mr. Darcy and to stand on your own looking snooty at a party. It's like being called Heathcliff and insisting on spending the entire evening in the garden, shouting "Cathy" and banging your head against a tree.
I will not fall for any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobics, people with girlfriends or wives, misogynists, megalomanics, chauvists, emotional fuckwits or freeloaders, perverts.
When someone leaves you, apart from missing them, apart from the fact that the whole little world you've created together collapses, and that everything you see or do reminds you of them, the worst is the thought that they tried you out and, in the end, the whole sum of parts adds up to you got stamped REJECT by the one you love. How can you not be left with the personal confidence of a passed over British Rail sandwich?
I like you very much. Just as you are.
It seems wrong and unfair that Christmas, with its stressful and unmanageable financial and emotional challenges, should first be forced upon one wholly against one's will, then rudely snatched away just when one is starting to get into it. Was really beginning to enjoy the feeling that normal service was suspended and it was OK to lie in bed as long as you want, put anything you fancy into your mouth, and drink alcohol whenever it should chance to pass your way, even in the mornings. Now suddenly we are all supposed to snap into self-discipline like lean teenage greyhounds.

Meet Bridget Jones—a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could:
a. lose 7 pounds
b. stop smoking
c. develop Inner Poise

"123 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones' Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement — a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult, and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and — like millions of readers the world round — you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,711,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible