Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

13,712219153 (3.63)265
Member:LauraAshlee
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 288 pages

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Slightly Single by Wendy Corsi Staub (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (208)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (218)
Bridget Jones decides to start a diary in order to track her progress in weight loss (specifically thigh circumference), quitting smoking, drinking less and finding a man (with no emotional fuckwittage!), as she’s tired of being a thirty-something singleton.

Pretty sure you’ve all at least heard of this book and likely seen the movie. I originally read it back in high school and was recently reminded of its existence when a friend of mine began, rather obsessively, watching the movie over and over. I decided a re-read was in order, in preparation for buddy reading the second book with said friend, and I’m so happy I picked this up again.

BJD is refreshingly funny – despite the fact that I’m no longer a singleton (and perhaps never was) and I don’t understand many of the Britain-specific references Bridget makes, I still found her to be refreshingly relatable. I laughed more times than I can count while reading this book. As a woman, I can understand Bridget’s struggles with self-image and weight gain/loss. Her brutal honesty and blunt wit solidify her as a character and made me want to be friends with her (even though she would consider me a Smug Married now).

Like many women, Bridget longs for a man with no emotional fuckwittage, yet pursues the complete opposite when she has a fling with her boss, Daniel. Then there’s Mark Darcy, the stoic, awkward family friend that her mother keeps throwing her at every chance she gets. Here runs the parallel with Pride and Prejudice, which BJD pays homage to. Daniel is the sexy, daring, scandalous (and untrustworthy!) Wickham, while Mark is…well…Darcy! I, of course, always root for Darcy, especially because I will forever picture Mark Darcy as Colin Firth.

I like that Fielding plays with her P&P references by having Bridget comment on the fact that Mark Darcy is snobbish and standoffish at a party, much like his classic namesake, which she finds utterly ridiculous.

There are certainly a few large differences in plot between the book and movie. Overall, I prefer the book, but I do still love both. I think the book has a better climax and ending though, especially where it concerns Bridget’s relationship with Darcy – the book has many more parallels to P&P, naturally I love that.

Books with a diary format always make me yearn to pick up a notebook and chronicle my own life, but I fear it wouldn’t be even a sliver as interesting or funny as Bridget’s (not to mention I’m way too lazy to measure my thighs or count calories), so I’ll leave it to the pros. Looking forward to finally reading the second book (which will hopefully be far superior to the movie)! By the way, this Penguin Ink edition is the best and if you’re into romantic comedies, I think you should pick this up! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 28, 2016 |
A friend recommend this book, I wish she hadn't. The character was unbelievable. The plots were contrived. If you are looking for realistic fiction, maybe you should go elsewhere. ( )
  MahaErwin | Sep 16, 2016 |
This laugh out loud comedy will have readers clutching their stomachs and shaking their heads in sympathy for poor Bridget Jones in the hilarious retelling of pride and Prejudice that is Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding. 30 year old singleton Bridget Jones just can't seem to get her life together. With her controlling self centered mother and smug married friends unable to see why she isn't married yet and her horrible job and even worse crush on her boss Bridget already has too much on her plate when her mother pushes her towards the stuck up and intolerable Mark Darcy at the annual turkey curry buffet. But as secrets and lies are revealed Mark Darcy might just be the best thing that entered Bridget Jones life. This book is just completely hilarious and such a fun easy read. I loved how the whole story truly is told in diary format because everything is just funnier seen through Bridget's eyes. Helen Fielding hit the ball out of the park with the elaborate mess that is Bridget Jones. The plot line of this book defies all logic and is completely unpredictable with so many twists and turns that its a wonder how the book still feels realistic. While this is an adult book it is also great for high school students and any one looking for a great comedy. ( )
  rebeccabarer | Sep 5, 2016 |
So I read this book when I was a teenager and I thought it was pretty good!

I watched the film first, like a lot of people, but I enjoy both the book and the film. I liked Bridget's narrative voice and liked her honesty. I liked having a window into her life and being able to see how many cigarettes she smoked, how she felt about her body and all the witty quips in between. The book is funny in its own way, as the film is funny in its own way.

I do distinctly remember a couple of passages being really funny. That said, I was a bit sad that some of my favourite parts of the film just weren't in the book at all. And after reading it, I wasn't really interested in picking up the next book, but I might one day!

A solid 3 stars. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The film is better than the book, purely because the actors take a relative turd and make it charming. This book is pretty much "say obvious things that women (and people in general) worry about". Nope. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

Meet Bridget Jones—a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could:
a. lose 7 pounds
b. stop smoking
c. develop Inner Poise

"123 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..."

Bridget Jones' Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement — a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult, and learn to program the VCR.

Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and — like millions of readers the world round — you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,830,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible