Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

12,973197177 (3.63)246
Member:LauraAshlee
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 288 pages

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Slightly Single by Wendy Markham (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (185)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (195)
I absolutely love this movie, I just never knew it was a book. I've had this on my to read list for awhile now and finally decided to read it. I forgot how much I love Bridget Jones and how funny and sassy she is!

The one thing that I didn't like was the whole weight issue. I looked up what 9 stones and 5lbs is and it's 131 lbs. Are you serious???? She was calling herself obese and fat....definitely not. Even though her self-confidence is probably the same as every woman in the world, it doesn't give a good message to girls and women about weight and eating. There is just a healthier way to keep fit than counting calories of everything you eat or skipping meals. Eat a well-balanced diet and you won't have to skip any meals and realize we all can't be a size 2.(no matter how much we want to be...hehe) Rant over. :)

Anyways, I loved Bridget's sense of humor about everything, she has a way of finding the funny side of things in an embarrassing or unfortunate situation, which seems to be quite often for her. Normally, I like the book better than the movie, but this time I like the movie better. I don't know if it's because I saw the movie first or what?!? I can't wait to watch the movie again. :)” ( )
  BeckyGandee | Apr 23, 2015 |
Cannot empathize. Pretty sure I couldn't even when I was closer to her age, but now as someone who could be her mother I wanted to scold her into getting a grip, pulling herself together. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Just didn't apply to me. The book ran like a chick flick in my mind. The only saving grace was Bridget's mother. She seemed authentic. ( )
  bereanna | Mar 11, 2015 |
Fun book. Very British, using British terminology. Had seen movie many times before reading book and while movie was very similar to book, there were some differences. Definitely worth the read. ( )
  KamGeb | Feb 22, 2015 |
A year in the life of painfully self-aware Bridget Jones, a 30-something Londoner who zigzags her way through life, trying to avoid drinking, eating, or smoking too much, while dodging unattainable men and finding her own perfect "Mr. Darcy." This was such a fun novel the first time I read it and I really loved all the odd characters in Bridget's life. Since then, the movie version has come out and upon rereading the book, I realized that (don't hate me) I prefer the movie version. The book is still fun, but I think I may have become a little too old to be able to relate to Bridget and her friends' hang-ups and obsessions. Still happy to have reread it, but it'll go in the donation pile now. ( )
1 vote -Eva- | Jan 22, 2015 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family? Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:57 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,197,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible