Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

13,117202171 (3.63)250
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 288 pages

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (carlym)
    Austenland by Shannon Hale (elbakerone)
    Campaign Ruby by Jessica Rudd (Anonymous user)
    Slightly Single by Wendy Markham (lemonfluffable)
    Lucy Talk by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    Fathomless Riches: Or How I Went From Pop to Pulpit by Richard Coles (charl08)
    charl08: Richard Coles is (possibly) the basis for Bridget's friend, the one-hit wonder. Both the novel and biography are laugh out loud funny.
    Sushi & Chardonnay by Yoyo van Gemerde (Talvi)

English (191)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (201)
Read enough of this book to be know that no way was it worth my giving up a precious 24 hours for. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
It's very rare for a movie to be better than the book. Unfortunately for this case, the movie is better. There are a lot of similarities between the book and the movie but huge differences. It was funny to note that Hugh Grant and Colin Firth's names were mentioned in the story... too bad Isabella Rossellini didn't star in the movie either. I digress. There was very little mention of Mark Darcy until towards the later chapters.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/96695.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Sep 25, 2015 |
Well, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. This humor didn't do much for me. Perhaps I just can't relate. And I know the format of the book was in dairy format but the incomplete sentences and abbreviations got on my nerves after a while. And basically it was a life story with some romance thrown in. Not really my cup of tea. Checking it off the list and moving on. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 22, 2015 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McPherson, TaraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family? Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:02 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible