Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

Member:LauraAshlee
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 288 pages

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

English (170)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (179)
I still love and adore this book. It's one of the funniest reads on this planet and I think all of us can relate to the worries that Bridget experiences. ( )
  miezetatze | Jun 28, 2014 |
Bought at City Shop, 08/07/08 for 75 RMB.

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't read the book before now. It's going a bit more slowly than I expected.

The movie has got to be better than the book. Perhaps I'll see it someday, but I'm not inclined to make an effort to see it. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
For those of you who have been hiding under a rock for the last 20 years and haven’t read the book or seen the movie, Bridget Jones’s Diary is the story of a single woman in her thirties in London, England. This is a hilarious book about failed relationships and unsuccessful attempts at losing weight. It is also a sharp critique of modern society where women have to have a husband, children, a house in the suburbs and a fulfilling job to be considered a success. While the story feels a bit dated (no cell phones!), the issues are still very much what a single woman would experience nowadays. In addition, Bridget Jones is a lovable character because she is not perfect, and she makes mistakes. As a result, we identify with her and understand her struggles.

Bridget Jones’s Diary has paved the way for many romantic comedies and TV series (Sex and the City anyone?), and I am really grateful for the laughs and tears it has brought on.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
1 vote cecile.sune | Apr 3, 2014 |
This is fluff on the outside, but a marvel of construction on the inside. Plus I enjoyed the movie so it was fun picturing Renee Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth between these pages once again. Others have attempted to imitated, but there is only one Bridget Jones's Diary.

Petrea Burchard
Camelot & Vine ( )
  PetreaBurchard | Feb 9, 2014 |
The first-half of the book I'd give three stars...since I've seen the movie, I couldn't really get into her obsession with Daniel because I knew that he turns out to be a jerk. So, the whole time I'm thinking, "Hurry up and get to the Mark Darcy parts!" Once it did, I enjoyed the book at last. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family? Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:57 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible