Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones's Diary (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Helen Fielding

12,720188186 (3.64)232
Member:LauraAshlee
Title:Bridget Jones's Diary
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1999), Paperback, 288 pages

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)

English (178)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (187)
I'm concerned I might actually BE Bridget Jones. Not that there's anything wrong per se with being like Bridget Jones but you can't say that she really has her life together can you? If you've seen the film adaptation of Helen Fielding's The Bridget Jones's Diary then I have no clue why you wouldn't give the book a shot. They really stayed true to form with the film and it's even funnier on page. Bridget is a Singleton who really just wants to find a guy who is less of a f***wit and more of a Mr. Darcy a la Pride and Prejudice. (Sidenote: It amuses me more than I can say that the characters actually talked about the BBC adaptation with Colin Firth and it was this same man playing Mark Darcy in the film adaptation of Bridget Jones's Diary. Yes, I AM easily amused.) The book is written in true diary format and at the header of each day's entry Bridget obsessively calculates weight, alcohol units, cigarettes, calories, lottery tickets, etc. I enjoyed the bawdy humor and the writing style of Fielding very much. If you're looking for a quick read that's sure to make you laugh then I highly recommend this one. ( )
  AliceaP | Oct 29, 2014 |
The film is better than the book, purely because the actors take a relative turd and make it charming. This book is pretty much "say obvious things that women (and people in general) worry about". Nope. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
READ IN DUTCH

I watched the movie and the sequel because these are the favourite movies of some of my friends. I got interested enough to read the book.

Romance books isn't a genre in my comfort zone. I've very few experience with it, and don't seem to find books I truly find engaging in this genre. Doesn't mean I don't try it every once in a while.

I know that a lot of people like Bridget Jones and some went crazy over Mad About The Boy (Pun intended :P ).

For me, Bridget Jones's Diary wasn't really working for me. I guess the translation I read didn't help because it felt forced like it was trying to bring over the jokes from the English edition and utterly failing to do so.

Perhaps I didn't really like it because I'd already seen the movies, I'm not sure, but I didn't feel like reading the other books. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
laugh out loud funny ( )
  karmakath | Sep 8, 2014 |
lol i love this book she so funny and witty she reminds me of my self be fore i got married i laught my head off on each every page ( )
  Jamilah_85 | Aug 20, 2014 |
O.K., James Joyce it may not be, but show me the woman to whom this sort of stream-of-consciousness, self-assessing mental clutter is unfamiliar and I'll show you the person who will not think ''Bridget Jones's Diary'' is both completely hilarious and spot on.

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heesen, MarthaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

[None]
To my mum, Nellie, for not being like Bridget's
I WILL NOT

Drink more than fourteen alcohol units a week.

A dazzling urban satire of modern human relations? An ironic, tragic insight into the demise of the nuclear family? Or the confused ramblings of a pissed thirty-something?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014028009X, Paperback)

In the course of the year recorded in Bridget Jones's Diary, Bridget confides her hopes, her dreams, and her monstrously fluctuating poundage, not to mention her consumption of 5277 cigarettes and "Fat units 3457 (approx.) (hideous in every way)." In 365 days, she gains 74 pounds. On the other hand, she loses 72! There is also the unspoken New Year's resolution--the quest for the right man. Alas, here Bridget goes severely off course when she has an affair with her charming cad of a boss. But who would be without their e-mail flirtation focused on a short black skirt? The boss even contends that it is so short as to be nonexistent.

At the beginning of Helen Fielding's exceptionally funny second novel, the thirtyish publishing puffette is suffering from postholiday stress syndrome but determined to find Inner Peace and poise. Bridget will, for instance, "get up straight away when wake up in mornings." Now if only she can survive the party her mother has tricked her into--a suburban fest full of "Smug Marrieds" professing concern for her and her fellow "Singletons"--she'll have made a good start. As far as she's concerned, "We wouldn't rush up to them and roar, 'How's your marriage going? Still having sex?'"

This is only the first of many disgraces Bridget will suffer in her year of performance anxiety (at work and at play, though less often in bed) and living through other people's "emotional fuckwittage." Her twin-set-wearing suburban mother, for instance, suddenly becomes a chat-show hostess and unrepentant adulteress, while our heroine herself spends half the time overdosing on Chardonnay and feeling like "a tragic freak." Bridget Jones's Diary began as a column in the London Independent and struck a chord with readers of all sexes and sizes. In strokes simultaneously broad and subtle, Helen Fielding reveals the lighter side of despair, self-doubt, and obsession, and also satirizes everything from self-help books (they don't sound half as sensible to Bridget when she's sober) to feng shui, Cosmopolitan-style. She is the Nancy Mitford of the 1990s, and it's impossible not to root for her endearing heroine. On the other hand, one can only hope that Bridget will continue to screw up and tell us all about it for years and books to come. --Kerry Fried

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:57 -0400)

Bridget Jones takes readers on a tour of a hilarious year-in-the-life of a confused thirty-something singleton who would have all the answers if she could just lose seven pounds, stop smoking, and attain inner poise.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,880,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible