Storybook Art: Hands-On Art for Children in…

Storybook Art: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of 100 Great…

by Maryann F. Kohl

Summary:
This classic story is about three bears living in the woods. There is a papa bear, mama bear, and a baby bear. The decide to take a walk while their porridge in cooling. Goldilocks finds their house and goes inside. She eats their breakfast, destroys their favorite chairs, and sleeps in their beds. The bears come home to find Goldilocks asleep. She is surprised to wake up and see three bears surrounding her. They chase her away and never see her again.

Personal Reaction:
I absolutely love the illustrations in this book. I think kids will love looking at the colorful pictures. It is told exactly the way I remember hearing it as a kid. Everyone loves a classic tale.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I would ask my students to imagine that they are news reporters. Their job is to write an article with the headline, "Bears' House Vandalized, Witnesses say Blonde Girl Spotted Fleeing from the Scene!" I would then let the students share their articles with the class.

2. As a craft, I would have my students make a puppet of of them as a bear to go along with the book. ( )
  kourtneysanner | Sep 17, 2013 |
Children can enjoy their favorite storybook illustrators in a new way by exploring their art with the 100 engaging and simple art projects included in this celebration of children's book illustrators. Featured are famous and award-winning storybook illustrators from the 1930s to present-
Good Night Moon's Clement Hurd,
Corduroy's Don Freeman,
Olivia's Ian Falconer,
and many more-
along with biographical information, open-ended art projects, and portraits created by grade school children. Illustration techniques covered include painting, drawing, cutting and collage, and construction and crafts.
Art projects include imitating Jackson Pollock in the "Jackson Piglet Wall Painting" from Olivia and creating a "Photo Story" from children's photos similar to Sugaring Time.
An extensive resource guide of illustrator web sites, art materials, and supplies listed by project is provided, as well as complete book information for the featured illustrators' works.

I don't know when I've been so excited about a book of hands-on art ideas for kids!! Favorite picture book illustrators are featured in this book for kids age 4-12...with art ideas to match the illustrators' styles and award-winning titles. Each page has a child-drawn portrait of the illustrator, synopses of the book, quote by the illustrator, easy to follow steps and materials, a great variations.
Some of the books and illustrators covered are:
- Storybook Art Includes -
Maurice Sendak-Where the Wild Things Are.....Scratch-Color
Dr. Seuss-The Cat in the Hat.....Kid in a Hat
Charles Shaw-It Looked Like Spilt Milk.....Cream Clouds
Chris Van Allsburg-The Polar Express.....Lights & Snow
plus 78 more Great Illustrators of Favorite Picture Books!
You won't believe the resource chapter with illustrators' websites and lists and more lists and awards and birthdays of illustrators and so on.

I especially like all the kids' artworks on the cover and throughout the book. I am sure you will enjoy this one!!!! It's something special. ( )
  brightringpublishing | Aug 25, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 093560703X, Paperback)

Ages 9 to 12 years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:32 -0400)

Children can enjoy their favorite storybook illustrators in a new way by imitating their art--including painting, drawing, collage, and crafts--with the 100 engaging and simple art projects included in this celebration of children's book illustrators.… (more)

Maryann F. Kohl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible