Do the Right Thing by Shyama Perera

Do the Right Thing

by Shyama Perera

711,138,814 (3)None

My first visit to this author and it won't be my last. A chance buy that was only because the cover caught my eye. I can't emphasise how surprisingly good this book is. I was taken by surprise as I expected something `chicky' rather than gripping. The book is pitched as a modern fairytale, which it is, but I actually gasped and claimed when I reached the end.

The characters are delightful; they are a pleasure to get to know. Chita (a wonderful woman, without realising it) and Shyam - rhymes with charm - (what I imagine a typical modern Indian family man to be) are our leads through this wonderful novel. Sufficient is left to the imagination as a lot of the plot is not revealed by the blurb - thank God! - and you really get to know all the characters. This novel has everything for me: thriller, romance and a little bit of intelligence thrown in.

Their life is like the mythical lovers of Indian history, Rama and Sita, with trials and tribulations challenging their marriage. I can't reveal too much as it will spoil your enjoyment. All you need to know is it is well written with rounded characters that you can believe in most of the time with a wholesome plot.

Happy reading! ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Mar 23, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034072823X, Paperback)

Like Rama and Sita, the mythical lovers of Indian history, a young couple set themselves the ideals of fidelity, faith and family. But in modern times, lines drawn in sand are easily obliterated by the drip feed of stress and the wet patch of temptation. When the monsters of management consultancy rear their ugly heads, Chita fights to resist the demands of lust, money and loneliness. But her devilish US boss is utterly beguiling, and her husband Shyam is righteous and sulky in their Docklands loft. As time unfolds, they discover that demons can catch you unawares. And that knowing the rules doesn't always mean you do the right thing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,826,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible