The Dragons of Chiril: A Novel by Donita K.…

The Dragons of Chiril: A Novel

by Donita K. Paul

143None83,534 (3.71)10
Recently added byDarylReads1, Kat_Hooper, private library, DrT, cheddali
    Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Similar fantasy atmosphere and also has dragons
    The Ratstrophe Catastrophe by David Lee Stone (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Similar types of humor and has the same quest-type feel
    Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Also Christian with dragons

This was a great little fantasy dragon story. It was a good listen for teens and young adults. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dragons of Chiril is the first book in Donita's K. Paul's, Chiril Chronicles series. This book was previously released under the title, The Vanishing Sculptor. It is appropriate for readers of all ages and will be of particular interest to those interested in Christian Fantasy. Paul blends her fictional dragon world, with Christian idea's and concepts to create a far reaching adventure quest, that shows the love of Christ in a very non-evasive way.

Paul's ability to craft novels that express Christian principles without beating the reader over the head with them is exceptional. By using a fantasy model she takes the religious undertones and subtly introduces them to the reader minus the preachy attitude and overbearing manner of some Christian fiction writers. I have always enjoyed Paul's work for that very reason. Her fantasy quests are similar to other good Christian Fantasy tales including, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. She gets her message across very well, even without all the bells and whistles.

Tipper is an interesting character. She has had to take on a great deal of responsibility since her father's disappearance. She has been caring for her family with money she earns from selling her father's art work. When she figures out that she has sold some very important statues that could bring about the destruction of the world if they are not reunited, she could have faltered and blamed herself, but she stands strong and starts out on an epic quest to get the statues back. I liked the fact that Paul gives Tipper's character a sense of innocence, but I found myself thinking she was much younger than she actually was.

This is an adventure story that is appropriate for all ages, but there are some difficult names to read and pronounce. I think probably readers from the ages of 10 - 15 will probably get the most enjoyment out of the book, but there are also adults who love Christian fantasy that will really get into it as well. The supporting cast was my favorite part of the book. Tipper's companions ranged from a dragonkeeper prince to a giant parrot and even included a wizard. There is a little something for everyone here. I liked how Paul incorporated Christian principles through the character of Wulder, and her use of humor in the dialogue between the wizard and the librarian.

If you are into Christian fantasy this is really a great read. The dragons are exceptional characters and I will definitely be reading other books in this series. It's a bit different and that's a good thing. I liked Paul's other dragon books and this one is just as well written. ( )
  DLester | Dec 17, 2011 |
A surprisingly good fantasy adventure. But it's somewhat hard to understand, partly because of the writing style and partly because Donita K. Paul seems to think it's unnecessary to explain the workings of her world. The reader just has to figure it out as he/she goes along, which isn't exactly pleasant.
The characters and plot are enjoyable however, making it a very fun quest. I'm not entirely sure I like the way Wulder/God is presented, but all in all it's a fantastic fantasy/adventure Christian novel. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Oct 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First let me say I was disappointed because I thought I was getting a newly released book. Unfortunately, this book is the "The Vanishing Sculptor" under a different title. This book takes place before the "Dragon Keeper Chronicles" and is the beginning of a new series "Valley of the Dragons".

This is a well paced Christian fantasy that is appropriate for the young adult to adult audience and was a pleasure to read (as are all of Donita's books!). I enjoyed the characters and found the storyline very well done. If you enjoy fantasy or Christian fiction, you'll love this book! ( )
  tweezle | Oct 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dragons of Chiril is a good young adult fantasy. This book is set in the same world as "The Dragonkeeper Chronicles" but before those events occur. The book has a well paced plot line and a cast of interesting and diverse characters. A wizard, librarian, dragon keeper, artist and princess all band together to go on a quest and save the day. Some of the statements and descriptions were quite funny. Fenworth and Librettowit were a great pair of characters.

As an allegory the story works well, but there could have been more information about Wulder. I've not read the other books, perhaps it's elaborated upon in more detail. The book obviously had Christian themes, and a clear good triumphs over evil ending. I liked the parts involving the dragons, especially Tipper's learning to communicate with them. Overall an enjoyable, quick read with a good moral. ( )
  kkunker | Aug 9, 2011 |
God has blessed me by bringing young people into my life. The days would be so boring if I dealt only with adults. This book is dedicated to my readers. They keep me on my toes and motivated to write. Jessica Agius, Mary Darnell, Hannah Johnson, Alistair and Ian McNear, Rachael Selk, Rebecca Wilber, Kayla and Joshua Woodhouse
Sir Beccaroon cocked his head, ruffled his neck feathers, and stretched, allowing his crimson wings to spread.

(from the back of the book) Tipper, a young emerlindian woman, has been responsible for the upkeep of her family’s estate since her sculptor father disappeared several years ago. To make ends meet, she’s been forced to sell off the artwork he left behind. When at last her father returns, accompanied by two strangers from a distant land, Tipper discovers that her actions have unbalanced the foundation of her world and endangered her father’s life. She must act quickly to undo the threat. But how can she save her father and the world on her own? The task is too huge for one person, so she gathers the help of some unlikely companions – including the giant parrot, Beccaroon, and the aristocratic tumanhofer, Bealomondore – and sets out on a quest, eventually witnessing the loving care and miraculous resources of Wulder.

Tipper, a young emerlindian who's responsible for the upkeep of her family's estate during her sculptor father's absence, discovers that her actions have unbalanced the whole foundation of her world, and she must act quickly to undo the calamitous threat. With the help of some unlikely companions -- including the nearly five-foot tall parrot, Beccaroon, and the miraculous Wulder -- she sets out to save her father and her world.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Dragons of Chiril by Donita K. Paul was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,431,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible