The Adventures of Tintin: King…

The Adventures of Tintin: King Ottokar's Sceptre (edition 1989)

by Herge

Series: Tintin (8)

Member:Falcon124
Title:The Adventures of Tintin: King Ottokar's Sceptre
Authors:Herge
Info:French & European Pubns (1989), Hardcover, 64 pages
Rating:*****

King Ottokar's Sceptre by Hergé (Author)

English (8)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (11)

I remembered this fondly from my childhood - it may even have been the first Tintin book I ever read - and very much hoped that it would live up to my memories. I'm glad to say that it did, and if anything it works even better for me now that I have spent several years in the meantime being closely involved with Balkan politics, and also because I now know Brussels rather better than I did when I was 9. (Apparently it was the first Tintin story to be translated into English, though that was some time before I was taking much interest in these matters.)

The story is pretty straightforward - Tintin gets recruited by a Balkan culture expert to travel to the mysterious land of Syldavia, where he crucially averts a plot to deprive the young king of his throne, engineered by an internal revolutionary movement which is a proxy for the neighbouring dictatorship of Borduria. There are lots of lovely Balkan/Slavic touches - although Syldavian spelling is closer to Polish than to the Balkans, the towns clearly have minarets and Cyrillic is used; the landscape and army/police uniforms are clearly drawn from the Balkan kingdoms between the wars. The small countries of south-eastern Europe are an easy target, but sometimes this can be done well.

But in fact the Balkans are mere protective coloration for what Hergé was really writing about. The unusually realistic depictions of the Warandepark and Avenue Louise in the early pages give it away. King Ottokar, running a small democracy in fear of annexation by its authoritarian neighbour through a front organisation, is not (as I have heard some speculate) Michael of Romania, but a slightly romanticised Leopold III of Belgium. The Bordurian plot to invade Syldavia could have been based on the Gleiwitz incident, were it not for the fact that it was published in Le Petit Vingtième in the summer of 1939, shortly before the Gleiwitz incident actually happened. Less than a year after Tintin En Syldavie had finished its original run, Belgium was occupied not by the sinister Bordurian activist Müsstler but by a bloke with a similar name.

And considering the general perception that Hergé was not exactly vigorous in resistance to Nazi occupation, it's a bit redemptive to see this story putting down a marker before it actually happened.

Also, given Tom McCarthy's speculation about Hergé's ancestry, it's amusing that he draws himself into two of the court scenes...

This was a good jumping-off point for my lifelong affection for Tintin, and I think I would still recommend it as a starting point today for people who for whatever reason have never yet tried it. The best of the pre-war albums is The Blue Lotus, but to really enjoy it you have to have read the inferior Cigars of the Pharaoh first. King Ottokar's Sceptre works well as a standalone adventure. (Even without Captain Haddock.) ( )
  nwhyte | Oct 5, 2014 |
good action book ( )
  SchusReadingStars | Jun 12, 2014 |
A fun romp. ( )
  questbird | Apr 29, 2013 |
A Ruritanian Romance in the style of The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope, this one sees Tintin and Snowy enmeshed in the political machinations of a small Balkan country which is riven by internal strife and coveted by a militaristic neighbouring country.

According to the Tintin website, Hergé partly based this story on the Nazi annexation of Austria, though it's not giving too much away to reveal that our young hero foils the plot!.

Hergé's well into his stride now and the adventures rattle along. The usual car and plane chases take Tintin across Europe at an incredible pace, but Hergé does remember to make his hero feel hunger pangs after being out in the mountains all night: nice touches of realism like this help to balance out the amazing, but necessary and expected, coincidences that crop up. And how come Thomson and Thompson are the only detectives anybody calls in to investigate anything, anywhere, despite their obvious ineptitude? Wacky Belgian humour!!

We get our first introduction to opera diva, Bianca Castafiore, and I'm looking forward to Captain Haddock's first appearance in the next story, The Crab with the Golden Claws. ( )
1 vote Michael.Rimmer | Mar 29, 2013 |
Fun story. Major plot holes, of course - what gave Tintin the idea that this whole complicated plot had anything to do with the sceptre? And he got suspicious and too easily lulled again. Tintin's acrobatics and Thomson and Thompson's pratfalls are rather spectacular in this one. Just about everyone is in on the plot - who the heck did they find to make the arrests, since every police chief seems to be on the wrong side? Oh, and I think this is Tintin's first meeting with Bianca Castafiore - an amusing one, of course. Very standard Tintin - enjoyable in itself, don't try for logic. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 4, 2012 |

Janzon, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellberg, PerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlberg, BjörnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zendrera, ConcepciónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nous allons nous asseoir un instant sur ce banc.
This is the 1947 redrawn and colourised version of King Ottokar's Sceptre (Le Sceptre d'Ottokar) . Please, do not combine it with the 1939 original black and white version.

Tintin travels to the kingdom of Syldavia to stop a villainous gang from stealing the royal scepter and overthrowing the government.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,539,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible