Mary of Nazareth: A Novel by Marek Halter

Mary of Nazareth: A Novel

by Marek Halter

French (2)  English (1)  All languages (3)
I enjoy historical and Biblical fiction and no one writes this genre better than Marek Halter. He truly captures the forgotten females of that time and brings them to life for us. In this novel, his attention is turned to Mary. Mary springs to life as an intelligent, independent, and deeply caring girl. As she matures and we see that she is truly holy, we believe he has captured the essence of what this young woman would have been. Then, Halter takes us one step further so we can feel what Mary's life as the mother of Christ was like. She is not a timid, shy mother - but more a mother that women today can identify with. Although his ending is not what we have come to believe over the years, it is nonetheless in keeping with the personality he develops for his Mary of Nazareth. ( )
  ddirmeyer | Jul 9, 2008 |

The ancient world and its politics come to life through the eyes of a young Jewish woman, Mary of Nazareth

Miriam–also known as Mary–was born into a Palestine oppressed by Herod the Great; she is accustomed to living with uncertainty and unrest. But when her beloved father is wrongly imprisoned by the Romans, she takes action. She calls upon a well-known rebel by the name of Barabbas, and together they set out to save her father. A daring escape is accomplished and, against staggering odds, Miriam’s father is saved from crucifixion.

Barabbas, flush with the success of the rescue, is intent on leading a full-scale rebellion against Herod and the Romans. Along with Mary and her father, he speaks before Jewish leaders who have gathered from various communities. Miriam feels great frustration as the men endlessly debate morality, the wisdom of rebellion, and the nature of God’s will. Having almost lost her father, and knowing she will be ostracized, she nevertheless speaks out against the use of violence. And to her surprise, one man, Joseph, listens. He offers to take her to Magdala, where she will be allowed to study in the company of intelligent, well-read women. This rare opportunity sets into motion a series of events that will change Miriam’s life–and the history of the Jewish people–forever.

Based on extensive historical and biblical scholarship, Mary of Nazareth is a revealing, utterly captivating portrait of a woman whose story we only thought we knew.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:31 -0400)

"Miriam - also known as Mary - was born into a Palestine oppressed by Herod the Great; she is accustomed to living with uncertainty and unrest. But when her beloved father is wrongly imprisoned by the Romans, she takes action. She calls upon a well-known rebel by the name of Barabbas, and together they set out to save her father. A daring escape is accomplished and, against staggering odds, Miriam's father is saved from crucifixion.""Barabbas, flush with the success of the rescue, is intent on leading a full-scale rebellion against Herod and the Romans. Along with Mary and her father, he speaks before Jewish leaders who have gathered from various communities. Miriam feels great frustration as the men endlessly debate morality, the wisdom of rebellion, and the nature of God's will. Having almost lost her father, and knowing she will be ostracized, she nevertheless speaks out against the use of violence. And to her surprise one man, Joseph, listens. He offers to take her to Magdala, where she will be allowed to study in the company of intelligent, well-read women. This rare opportunity sets into motion a series of events that will change Miriam's life - and the history of the Jewish people - forever." "Based on extensive historical and biblical scholarship, Mary of Nazareth is a portrait of a woman whose story we only thought we knew."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

76 wanted4 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible