Burial of Ghosts by Ann Cleeves

Burial of Ghosts

by Ann Cleeves

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All (4)
Book Description:
For Lizzie Bartholomew, a holiday in Morocco will change life forever. But not in the way she had hoped...Lizzie had planned her trip to Marrakech as the perfect escape from her life - and her nightmares - in Northumberland. Abandoned as a baby, and having spent her childhood moving between foster homes, Lizzie certainly has much to escape from. And for Lizzie, Morocco is the exotic paradise that she had imagined. Especially when she finds herself on a bus sitting next to a fellow tourist, who is also traveling to fulfill his dreams. After a brief affair, Lizzie returns to England. In the days that follow, she is distracted by thoughts of her mysterious lover, hoping against hope that Philip might come and find her. But suddenly she receives a letter from a firm of solicitors. Philip Samson has died. In his will, he has left Lizzie a gift of [pound]15,000. But there are conditions attached to this unexpected legacy. Conditions that will alter the course of Lizzie's life forever.

My Review:
This is an early standalone novel by Ann Cleeves. It's not as good as her Shetland Island or Vera Stanhope series but still a very good mystery. The plot is unique and one that holds your interest until the very end. The characters are interesting and Lizzie Bartholomew is bound and determined to find the killer. As in all of Ann Cleeves books, the murderer is a complete surprise and unexpected. I look forward to reading the new releases of her series and I also want to read her George and Molly Palmer-Jones series and Inspector Ramsay series. I would highly recommend this book to those who like mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 8, 2017 |
First published in 2003.

Ann Cleeves has drawn quite heavily on her own experience as a probation officer in this stand-alone story and that lends the tale an air of authenticity although several aspects of it do stretch the bounds of credibility.

Award winning Cleeves has become known for her Shetland novels and her Vera Stanhope series, and so it is nice to come across a non-series title occasionally. There are Gothic qualities to this novel which remind me of books I read in an earlier life. Nevertheless an enjoyable read. ( )
  smik | May 30, 2014 |
This is a book I read straight after reading the Ann Cleeves crime novel Raven Black. I had not heard of Cleeves before, it was a book chosen by our reading group, but I enjoyed her style in Raven Black so I thought I had to try this one next. It had another attraction in that it is set in Northumberland where I live and I was curious to see how she would treat the area. She described it perfectly. In fact I wish I could remember her descriptions and carry them off as my own!
The story is about Lizzie Bartholomew, an orphan who has grown up in foster homes and, despite a lot of trouble in her youth, she became a social worker hoping to help children who are where she was. However because of a traumatic event, that is slowly revealed through the book, she is now no longer working and, following a strange request from a man she only knew briefly but who has recently died, she is slowly drawn into a murder investigation.
Like Raven Black this book is full of interesting characters who all have secrets to hide, it is up to Lizzie, and the reader if you want to play the 'detective game' along with her, to try to work out which secrets are the red herrings and which will unlock the mystery. At times this is a very dark book but it does draw you in beautifully, it is definitely one to start when you have a whole day ahead of you to do nothing but read ... you won't want to put it down. ( )
  yosarian | Jun 25, 2009 |

For Lizzie Bartholomew, a holiday in Morocco will change life forever. But not in the way she had hoped. Lizzie had planned her trip to Marrakech as the perfect escape from her life - and her nightmares - in Northumberland. Abandoned as a baby, and having spent her childhood moving between foster homes, Lizzie certainly has much to escape from. And for Lizzie, Morocco is the exotic paradise that she had imagined. Especially when she finds herself on a bus sitting next to a fellow tourist, who is also travelling to fulfil his dreams. After a brief affair, Lizzie returns to England. In the days that follow, she is distracted by thoughts of her mysterious lover, hoping against hope that Philip might come and find her. But suddenly she receives a letter from a firm of solicitors. Philip Samson has died. In his will, he has left Lizzie a gift of [pound]15,000. But there are conditions attached to this unexpected legacy. Conditions that will alter the course of Lizzie's life forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,345,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible