Weapons Grade: How Modern Warfare Gave Birth…

Weapons Grade: How Modern Warfare Gave Birth to Our High-Tech World

by David Hambling

An interesting concept. The idea is to discuss military high technology through how it has been commercialized.
I think the conceit worked pretty well, striking an interesting balance between the military and the everyday worlds.

I was disturbed by the author's appararent nonchalance at some future devices we may expect to see, but, to be fair, I cannot blame the author for that --- he didn't much preach or go beyond his remit of describing the technology, and if he had preached I would probably have been irritated.
The issue, really, is my fear at the future we're headed into, but I can't blame a book or an author for that. ( )
  name99 | Nov 16, 2006 |

Understanding how business is likely to evolve in the coming years is itself a multi-million dollar business. Plenty of gurus, academics and snake-oil salesmen will tell you all about the future — for a price. What all of these experts often overlook is that the future is already here. Chances are, the products and services we will buy and sell tomorrow are available — to a very limited clientele — at a top-secret research institute near you. Throughout human history war and the threat of war have driven innovation and accelerated the uptake of new technology — from the nomadic warriors who introduced the stirrup and the kebab to the world, to the British Navy's funding of Marconi's new-fangled radio. And since 1945 the relationship between military needs and modern business has grown ever closer, especially in the United States. David Hambling traces the history of this relationship in the modern era and shows how precision eye surgery emerged out of the military quest for a ‘death ray,' how transistors and silicon chips first helped build better bombs, and exactly why the 747 has such a distinctive shape.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

Starting from the Second World War, presents the link between war and innovation, examines military technologies that have moved to the civilian sector, and describes what the future may bring.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible