Something Wicked by Jo Beverley

Something Wicked (original 1997; edition 2005)

by Jo Beverley

Member:ilibridifrancy
Title:Something Wicked
Authors:Jo Beverley
Info:Signet (2005), Paperback, 384 pages

Something Wicked by Jo Beverley (1997)

Throw it against the wall hated it. ( )
  CupcakeMom | Jun 13, 2016 |
I like books with hidden identities, and this one definitely has that. More than the typical romance novel action, too, which is fun! ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Something Wicked has become, much to my surprise, my favorite book by Jo Beverley.

The reasons are all pretty much encapsulated in the premise: what's a Malloren *girl* like? How do you take all those super sexy on a man Malloren qualities and make them just as appealing on a female?

It's a voyage of discovery for the heroine, Elf, who is in the process of discovering that she really is a Malloren: that she has a taste for danger, that she has a cool head in a crisis, that when she falls in love with a man she will use her every wile and trick to win his love. Yep, that's right folks: Elf pursues Fort, the hero. And she does it with all the wit and grace her brothers wouldn't think of, but all of their dedication.

Fort is the perfect pair for Elf and the sex, ay yay yay - it is pretty spicy. Beverley's best for sheer titillation. Fort has a hard edge, a hint of violence, that saves him from being a startched-collar bore; he's really rather devastating.

Even though the whole Malloren clan has a role to play here, Elf & Fort definitely hold center stage - and that's saying something whenever Rothgar is around. It's a compelling, psychologically rich & super sexy romance. Thanks Ms. Beverley! ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is the first Jo Beverly book I've ever read, so obviously I am writing this review based on its qualities as a stand-alone novel rather than part of a series. It was not hard to follow on its own, as the family story from other books was sumamrized here. It's not necessary to read the others, but perhaps this book would be more enjoyable if you have more of an interest in the Malloren family.

My favorite part of the book was not the romance between Elf and Fort, but the treasonous plot. I enjoyed that bit of mystery, but it was over too quickly, and the latter part of the book was lacking as a result. The romance between Elf and Fort was not believable in any way. Elf is obsessed with him and pursues him relentlessly. He is rude to her, and it angered me when he revealed intimate details to Rothgar. If he had a shred of concern for her dignity, he would have been more of a gentleman. He could at least have shown more propriety for a well-born lady. It was unforgivable, and I couldn't believe any self-respecting woman would continue to pursue a man who had treated her so horribly. It was hard for me to become interested at first, because I hated that Elf's friend Amanda constantly talked about wanted to sleep with men other than her husband. Their frank discussions regarding sexual desires seemed highly unlikely for the time period, and it made them both look neither well-born nor virtuous in any way. I prefer my heroine to be a bit more prudent and not some raging hormone willing to throw away her chances at a desirable future merely for one night of pleasure.

However, I do believe the book deserves 3 stars for the political intrigue and its beautifully accurate historical descriptions. You will feel transplanted in time, and in that regard, Ms. Beverly has been successful. ( )
  halo776 | Mar 8, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451213785, Mass Market Paperback)

At 25, Lady Elfled Malloren is considered to be "on the shelf" by everyone but her family. After seeing her twin brother off on another adventure, Elfled decides to seek some experiences of her own. She disguises herself as "Lisette" and visits the Vauxhall Gardens Masquerade, where she finds a lot more excitement than she bargained for. After inadvertently overhearing a plot of treason, "Lisette" is captured by the Earl of Walgrave, the Malloren family's most hated enemy. But hate quickly turns to love and she gives herself to Walgrave in a night of unforgettable passion. Alas, Elfled just can't stay away and must experience "something wicked" again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:58 -0400)

It was a night of danger and intrigue. Disguised as the mysterious beauty Lisette, Lady Elfled Malloren anticipates only fun and flirtation at the masquerade. Instead, the dark walkways lead to an encounter with treason, a brush with death, and a night of riotous passion.… (more)

Jo Beverley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,783,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible