The Armies of Memory by John Barnes

The Armies of Memory

by John Barnes

Series: Thousand Cultures (4)

The conclusion of a four-book series that takes place over thirty years. It's been a long time since I've read the earlier books, and I struggled through the first few chapters, and never really got comfortable with the backstory. I'm not sure whether that says something about me or the writing. Giraut is a musician and an agent of the Thousand Cultures government. During the first half of the books we alternate assassination attempts with his emotional and artistic highs and lows. During the second half of the book, the 'enemy' does a lot of explaining about why they're not really an enemy. Then it's all hearts and flowers. Sort of. A bit of a twist at the end, but I don't think it makes much sense. So overall, I'm disappointed with this book.
  AwesomeAud | Jan 14, 2011 |
i like this series, but this entry was particularly neat. the central character was interesting, and so was the theme of creative work as an index of being human in a posthuman world. ( )
  macha | Jul 25, 2009 |
A fine novel in the 'Giraut' series which began with 'A Million Open Doors'. It looks like the end of the series, but maybe not since the author left open the possibility of a continuation.
  Fledgist | May 17, 2006 |

John Barnesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PRIOR 2. Oh, be quiet, you medieval gnome, and let them dance.

PRIOR 1. I'm not interfering. I've done my bit. Hooray, hooray, the messenger's come, now I'm blowing off. I don't like it here.

PRIOR 2. The twentieth century. Oh, dear, the world has gotten so terribly, terribly old.
—Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"
For Jennifer Maddalena Gorman, and for Brandi, Michaela, Dylan, and J'Lyn Maddalena, friends to keep.
Laprada was fussing, lifting my tapi from each shoulder till it hung parallel to the floor, and tugging at the fastening.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765342243, Mass Market Paperback)

Giraut Leones, special agent for the human Thousand Cultures' shadowy Office of Special Plans, is turning fifty--and someone is trying to kill him.

Giraut's had a long career; the number of entities that might want him dead is effectively limitless.  But recently Giraut was approached by the Lost Legion, an Occitan underground linked to an alliance of illegally human-settled worlds beyond the frontier. Also, it turns out that the Lost Legion colony has a "psypyx" --a consciousness-recording--of Shan, onetime boss of the Office of Special Plans. If they have that, they have literally thousands of devastating secrets.

Now, returning to his native Nou Occitan, Giraut will encounter violence and treachery from human and artificial consciousnesses alike.  As bigotry and mob violence erupt throughout the rapidly destabilizing interstellar situation, Giraut will be called on the make the ultimate sacrifice, for the sake of civilization itself…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:01 -0400)

"Giraut Leones, special agent for the human Thousand Cultures' shadowy Office of Special Projects, is turning fifty - and someone is trying to kill him." "Giraut has had a long career; the number of entities that might want him dead is effectively limitless. But recently, Giraut was approached by the Lost Legion, an Occitan underground linked to an alliance of illegally human-settled worlds beyond the frontier. Also, it turns out that the Lost Legion colony has a "psypyx" - a consciousness-recording - of Shan, onetime boss of the Office of Special Projects. If they have that, they have literally thousands of devastating secrets." "Now, his returning to his native Nou Occitan, Giraut will encounter violence and treachery from human and artificial consciousness alike. As bigotry and mob violence erupt throughout the rapidly destabilizing interstellar situation, Giraut will be called on to make the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of civilization itself."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible