Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise…

Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (edition 2009)

by F. Michael Gloth

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program
Authors:F. Michael Gloth
Info:DiaMedica (2009), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Cover maybe done
Tags:!ER, Exercise, __check_cover

Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness) by F. Michael Gloth III

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't have much experience reviewing a book like this and I am certainly not an expert on exercise, diet or health so this review should be taken as a personal opinion only. Overall I found the book to be a balanced, complete, and safe program especially for the 50 and over set. There are several recipes which I haven't tried, but sound delicious. The data is well researched and the exercise program well planned. There are many photos, graphs and charts to simplify understanding. A good effort. ( )
  Kirconnell | Apr 2, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"Fit at 50" isn't a thick volume, but it does a good job of concisely giving you the facts you need. The author talks about how different foods are metabolized by the body, how to exercise, how to diet and recipes by an award winning chef sprinkled throughout - I tried the Spicy Grilled Shrimp and they were very tasty. There is also a section on "falling off the wagon" that is a good reminder that we need to plan for that to happen, get over it, and move past it.

Getting very close to 50 myself and having more than a few extra pounds that need to go, I was looking forward to this book. If you're facing fifty or more and haven't kept up to date on exercise and diet facts, this is a great volume to start with.

I didn't find very much that was new (and it's tough to package motivation to
exercise in a book), but it was a great reminder of the basics. It will serve you
well past your fifties.
  wdavidlewis | Oct 26, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book doesn't break any new ground, but it is a very sensible and useful book for its intended audience. Certainly at the age of 50+, the goals are different than those who are still in their 20s and 30s, and the book is useful in identifying and recognizing the differences. The book ably describes the changes that the body goes through as it ages and suggests ways to help mitigate some of those effects. The discussion of metabolism was both interesting and helpful. The importance of tone and stretching was also useful. The recognition that exercise is not a one size fits all is properly reconized and considered. ( )
  dpbrewster | Sep 28, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a basic book. If I didn't exercise, needed to get in shape, lose 50 lbs, and didn't know where to start, this would be a great book. I do exercise, eat healthy and don't need to lose weight, so I felt the book was a little too simplistic for my interest. ( )
  LeHack | Jul 15, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a good basic exercise and nutrition guide. I especially liked the recipes that were included and was happy with the results. I was a little surprised that the publisher did not make the book more aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps the intent was to focus on the writing but the photographs came off as kind of amateurish to me. It reminded me of what the old army fitness leaflets looked like. I received this book as a early reviewers copy but I don't think I would have purchased it in the store based on appearances alone. Looking beyond that I think the book is a helpful exercise and nutrition guide for any age which I hope to put to good use. ( )
  MaryKay1822 | Jul 10, 2009 |

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical activities. Fit at Fifty and Beyond provides practical suggestions for eating and exercise that help readers look and feel better as the years go by. Beginning with a discussion of how evolution made it possible for humans to store energy efficiently — which translates into weight gain as we age — the authors spell out a strategy for eating and exercising wisely. Sample recipes translate the guidelines into healthy and delicious meals, while the chapters on exercise offer tips on choosing an exercise program that corresponds with each individual’s personality and favorite activities. By taking these simple steps as early as possible, readers can stave off or even prevent many of the effects of aging.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:25 -0400)

As people reach their fifties, the body's metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it's common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical activities. This book provides practical suggestions for eating and exercise that help readers look and feel better as the years go by. Beginning with a discussion of how evolution made it possible for humans to store energy efficiently--which translates into weight gain as we age--the authors spell out a strategy for eating and exercising wisely. Sample recipes translate the guidelines into healthy and delicious meals, while the chapters on exercise offer tips on choosing an exercise program that corresponds with each individual's personality and favorite activities. By taking these simple steps as early as possible, readers can stave off or even prevent many of the effects of aging.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

F. Michael Gloth III's book Fit at 50 and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

DiaMedica

An edition of this book was published by DiaMedica.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,332,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible