The Bride (edition 1991)

Info:Pocket Star (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Romance

Recently added byrena75, Jenncarp2017
    Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both books are well written romances with hot Highland lairds and unwilling love interests. Garwood books tend to have a little less angst and a little more humor
    Ransom by Julie Garwood (aznstarlette)

I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
On the one hand, this book had one of my favorite kinds of heroine, the insecure one who doesn't know her own worth. I appreciated her self-deprecating commentary and Cinderella-esque childhood, because I love the story arch of the hero showing the heroine how valuable and wonderful and deserving of love she is. There was lots of banter and shyness and angst, which is my favorite stuff right there.

However...

The book jumped the shark a bit at the end. I mean, the random and complete acceptance of Helena's child just seemed so unlikely. Jamie goes from being insecure and meek to suddenly kidnapping a child and being assured of her husband's love for her? She is just suddenly a mom? It wasn't a realistic character progression to me. And the story dragged a bit at the end.

Overall, this averages out to three stars. I'll probably look into more of Julie Garwood's work. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
I have read this book more than a few times. It is still a favourite! I love that Alec is always trying to get a rise out of Jamie. I am sure I will read it again in the future! ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
Audiobook Narrated by Rosalyn Landor

4.5 🌟 After all these years this book still holds up. I have reread it numerous times and I am sure I will reread it again.

~ Paragraphs and Petticoats ~ ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
I had read this before a long time ago but it was great. Laura has to take British bride who someone is trying to kill. Just great romance and conflict ( )
  afarrington | Oct 18, 2017 |

Rizo, Elianesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prologue
Scotland, 1100

The deathwatch was over.

By the king's edict, Alec Kincaid, mightiest of the Scottish lairds, must take an English bride. And Jaime the youngest daughter of Baron Jamison, is his choice. From his first glimpse of the proud and beautiful English lady, Alec felt a burning hunger stir within him. This was a woman worthy of his fearless warrior's spirit. And he aches to touch her, tameher, possess her... forever.

But with the wedding vows, Jamie pledges her own secret oath: She will never surrender her love to this Highland barbarian. He was everything her heart warned her against -- an arrogant, brooding scoundrel whose rough good looks and seductive embrace fire her blood. But when strange accidents begin to threaten Jamie's life and an old rumor that Alec killed his first wife spreads anew, something far more dangerous than desire threatens to conquer he senses.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671737791, Mass Market Paperback)

By edict of the king, the mighty Scottish laird Alec Kincaid must take an English bride. His choice was Jamie, youngest daughter of Baron Jamison...a feisty, violet-eyed beauty. Alec ached to touch her, to tame her, to possess her...forever. But Jamie vowed never to surrender to this highland barbarian.

He was everything her heart warned against—an arrogant scoundrel whose rough good looks spoke of savage pleasures. And thought Kincaid's scorching kisses fired her blood, she brazenly resisted him...until one rapturous moment quelled their clash of wills, and something far more dangerous than desire threatened to conquer her senses...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:29 -0400)

By edict of the King, Alec Kincaid must take an English bride, and his choice, young Jamie Jamison, sees Alec as everything her heart warned her against--arrogant, good looking, and passionate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,451,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible