My People by Langston Hughes

My People (edition 2009)

by Langston Hughes, Charles R. Smith Jr. (Illustrator)

Title:My People
Authors:Langston Hughes
Other authors:Charles R. Smith Jr. (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Langston Hughes, photography, pride, poems

My People by Langston Hughes

This can be done as part of a poetry and / or art unit - the poem itself is beautifully written, but the book can be used to show how art can help illustrate writing.
  kkaspy | Jul 29, 2015 |
Great book, beautiful illustrations and simple but powerful words. ( )
  daphnejohnson | Jul 6, 2015 |
Tells of an black person cultures through pictures of who they are by pictures
  AnnetteHarris | May 20, 2015 |
There are two reasons I like this book. I like how the photographer captured pictures of people smiling and all different shades and ages of Black Americans. It shows that Black Americans are like everyone else and they have something to offer to the world. I also like that this book pushes readers to broaden their perspectives. As readers look through the book, they may think about the society they live in and how far Black Americans have come since the Civil Rights Movement. For example, “beautiful also, are the souls of my people”(pg. 22-26) is a strong message to the readers saying that these people are not only beautiful on the outside, but also the inside. The message of this story is to accept everyone no matter their race because everyone is unique and beautiful. ( )
  moaks1 | Mar 23, 2015 |
Charles Smith's photographs wonderfully capture the sprit of this simple and powerful poem by Langston Hughes. Young and old, happy and serious, male and female, the photo's capture the beauty of the soul, which makes everyone beautiful, special, and unique.

Use this book to help students explore the theme of beauty and the comparisons in the poem. Wonderful for starting discussion about what "my people" means and the concept of beauty - in the poem vs. what is in the media and on TV (great compare and contrast exercise). ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 12, 2015 |
To Charles R. Smith, the original, and all of My People
--C.R.S. Jr.
The night is beautiful,
so the faces of my people.

Curriculum Connection:
2nd grade Reading Standard: 2. Reading for All Purposes
Concepts and skills students master: 1. Fluent reading depends on specific skills and approaches to understanding strategies when reading v. Identify how word choice (sensory details, figurative language) enhances meaning in poetry.

Hughes's spare yet eloquent tribute to his people has been cherished for generations. Now, acclaimed photographer Smith interprets this beloved poem in vivid sepia photographs that capture the glory, the beauty, and the soul of being a black American today.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible