My People by Langston Hughes

My People (edition 2009)

by Langston Hughes, Charles R. Smith Jr. (Illustrator)

Member:leighfer23
Title:My People
Authors:Langston Hughes
Other authors:Charles R. Smith Jr. (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:Langston Hughes, photography, pride, poems

My People by Langston Hughes

This book expresses feelings by faces of may different people of color. It can teach self love. It is nice to see people smiling. ( )
  MarGood | Jun 8, 2016 |
Just 33 words, and about that many photos.  Plus an author's note.  A glowing book, not a heavy preachy one.  Recommended to all, joyfully. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I really loved this version of the poem "My People" by Langston Hughes. I enjoyed this book for two reasons. Firstly, I really loved the way Langston Hughes pushes readers to broaden their perspectives and look at tough issues. Though a short poem, Hughes creates a moving piece that reminds all people to view African Americans as beautiful beings. Hughes writes, “The night is beautiful, so the faces of my people.” The poem is an important reminder for readers to not forget history.
Secondly, I love the photographs that accompany Hughes’ moving poem. With the short poem broken into small lines accompanied by a black and white photo of an African American on each page, this helps the reader slow down and reflect on the words of the poem and the mood or emotion reflected in the person's face. Reading this version of Hughes’ poem was moving. The theme of this book is to celebrate African American people. ( )
  CathiRussell | Mar 21, 2016 |
A simple poem that eloquently sums up cultural pride of any background. The appealing sepia photos pull you in. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This can be done as part of a poetry and / or art unit - the poem itself is beautifully written, but the book can be used to show how art can help illustrate writing.
  kkaspy | Jul 29, 2015 |

Langston Hughesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Charles R JrAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Charles R. Smith, the original, and all of My People
--C.R.S. Jr.
The night is beautiful,
so the faces of my people.

Curriculum Connection:
2nd grade Reading Standard: 2. Reading for All Purposes
Concepts and skills students master: 1. Fluent reading depends on specific skills and approaches to understanding strategies when reading v. Identify how word choice (sensory details, figurative language) enhances meaning in poetry.

Hughes's spare yet eloquent tribute to his people has been cherished for generations. Now, acclaimed photographer Smith interprets this beloved poem in vivid sepia photographs that capture the glory, the beauty, and the soul of being a black American today.… (more)

Legacy Library: Langston Hughes

Langston Hughes has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Langston Hughes's legacy profile.

See Langston Hughes's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,385,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible