The Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood
903139,768 (3.82)1 / 19

English (12)  German (1)  All languages (13)
I re-read this a while ago, so my recall is not fresh. That said, for a very dated bodice ripper, this was not bad. The two protagonists were not exactly great communicators, though. If they'd just bothered to actually talk to each other, there wouldn't have been any story at all. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
Fun, typical Julie Garwood - in this case that's a good thing. She's written some great prologues my favorite being the meeting Judith and Frances Catherine when they were little girls in The Secret but this one is right up there. I agree with another reviewer who said that they wished she'd written Merry and Black Wolf's story, they were wonderful characters. I loved Lyon & Christina, loved the fun dialogue and the way the twisty way Christina's mind worked as she tried to remember all the "laws" of behavior while in England.

The overall plot is about as believable as the cast of Ocean's 11 showing up at my house to whisk me away to Clooney's Italian villa but the characters are true to themselves and so much fun that I had no problem glossing right over that. I would probably rank this one behind The Secret and Honor's Splendor for my favorite Garwood's. But any time I find myself paging back to re-read dialogue or scenes that you enjoy I figure that's worth 5*s. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
2/27/13 - another re-read. This book gets better each time I read it.

11/10 - My sister-in-law borrowed this book and when she returned it I did a fast re-read. I just have one word: LOVE.

12/10 - I forget how much I enjoy Garwood's regency titles, especially The Lion's Lady.

More often than not it is Garwood's heroes who stand out for me, even though I tend to like her heroines. But Christina is the exception. I absolutely adore her and how unconventional she is. She was raised by Indians in the Black Hills of South Dakota, can use a knife better than many men, prefers to go barefoot and eats the leaves of bushes. She's wonderful.

Lyon is the perfect match for her. Though he starts out quite jaded and cynical, it isn't long before he realizes what a gem Christina is. I especially love that he totally "gets" her. She kept thinking he wanted only the "civilized" version of herself, but he proves time and again that he loves all of her..even her wild, savage side. Especially her wild, savage side. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
DNF. I really enjoyed the beginning, but then when the love story kicked in, I lost interest. I just found the plot and the characters silly, contrived and dated. I could tell this was a romance novel written in the 1980s. The hero is extra Alpha-y with an especially dated "all women are liars and I know this because of my experience with my ex-wife" type of mindset. The heroine is plucky, almost tiresomely so. She often mixes up her words, which leads to frequent misunderstandings in conversations with the hero. I'm pretty sure this was for comedic effect, but I found it gimmicky and annoying. We're also told that she is super talented with fighting and also very intelligent, but this is never evident in her actions. The side plot with the heroine's mother and father is also pretty unbelievable, tbh. It's just poorly written and executed.

So, yeah. I DNF'd this book after about 150 pages and skimmed to the end. I really wanted to like this book, but it's not my cup of tea, sadly. :( ( )
  the_baroness | Aug 11, 2013 |
Awesome audio book, made me want to get back in the car. Lyon is the marquis who falls for Christina who was raised as a Dakota Indian but he doesn't know that. The narrator was great on the guys voice but squeaky on the girl but still really good ( )
  afarrington | Jun 28, 2013 |
For Gerry
It was time to seek the vision.

Christina Bennett had taken London society by storm. The ravishing beauty guarded the secret of her mysterious past until the night Lyon, Marquis of Lyonwood, stole a searching, sensuous kiss. An arrogant nobleman with a pirate's passions, he tasted the wild fire smoldering beneath Christina's cool charm and swore to posess her...

But the fiesty and defiant Christina would not be so easily conquered. Mistress of her heart and of her fortune, she resisted Lyon's sensuous caresses. She dared not surrender to his love...for then, she must also forsake her precious secret...and her promised destiny!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067173783X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:32 -0400)

Appearing suddenly on the London social scene, Christina Bennet entrances the Duke of Lynstead, but he is frustrated when she rebuffs his advances.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible