Out of the Blue by Orel Hershiser

by Orel Hershiser

Other authors: Jerry B. Jenkins

196560,038 (2.87)5

Rated: C
autobiograhy of Orel world series season w/ the Dodger when he pitched a record of consecutive innings of shut-outs & as under-dogs came back to win the series; he makes mention of his Christian faith ( )
  jmcdbooks | Jan 27, 2013 |
Short memoir of Dodger pitcher Hershiser culminating in the 1988 World Series victory. This was the last time the Dodgers have been World Champions in 22 years (as of 2010). This book is unusual since Hershiser uses it to testify to his christian faith which he credits for his success in addition to his wife's support. What Hershiser accomplished that year individually was historic in baseball terms. Cy Young winner, NLC MVP, Series MVP, Hall of Fame note, all despite the loss of Fernando Valenzuela to injury. The book, several times, gets too detailed recounting certain innings of games but overall it is worth the time for a christian man, baseball fan, or both. 6 pages of color photos, glossary, statistics. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Dec 15, 2010 |
This was one of the first books I ever read. I remember it being okay when I was a huge baseball fan. I probably wouldn't pick it up now, though. ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
I read Out of the Blue not because I am a big sports fan but because I am fascinated by moments in history. I first learned of Orel Hershiser when I tuned into the last half of the last game of the 1988 World Series. I only did that because I had heard about Gibson's home run while at a church picnic. I soon learned that I was missing out on an historic conclusion to an historic year. Out of the Blue is the Cy Young Award winner's account of that improbable year and incredible series.

Writing of the first game of the series, Hershiser says of Gibson's moment at bat, "Maybe it could have been more dramatic. Down 4-3, bottom of the ninth, runner on second, first game of the World Series, the hitter is the team's hero, but he's limped to the plate."

Hershiser later says that during rain delays of televised games for the next twenty-five years, that will be the highlight broadcast to fans all over the country.

On youtube, it will seen for many more years. This book will tell you about that moment and much more. ( )
1 vote taterzngravy | Oct 31, 2009 |
  Anagarika | Oct 30, 2009 |

Orel Hershiserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jenkins, Jerry B.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My heart sank.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible