Sacred Wounds: Succeeding Because of…

Sacred Wounds: Succeeding Because of Life's Pain

by Jan Goldstein

101880,191 (4)None

There is no coming to consciousness without pain. –Carl Jung

A lovely and powerful little book. We are all wounded and the essential work of our lives is to turn that wound, to use a phrase from Goldstein, from the profane to the sacred; to turn that wound from the root of our neurotic and destructive patterns into the constructive and enlivening. I'm not a fan of his formulaic style (i.e., there are nine steps each with a story, a ritual, a meditation) but then I never liked following instructions.

I think Goldstein is at his best when he shares his insights and observations:

"We are transformed from victim to victor in the crucible of the Sacred Wound. The triumph blazes forth in the empowerment and optimism to be found in our daily approach to living. It is found in the success we can now create with the fullness of our worth."

Still, a wonderful book for processing, healing, and getting on. ( )
  JerryColonna | Dec 3, 2012 |

In this immensely affecting and empowering guide, Jan Goldstein teaches readers how to take their most emotionally painful life events -- their spiritual wounds -- and transform them into a source of power and well-being.

Goldstein's life-affirming program is inspired by his own heartbreak: the February morning when he was faced with the sudden news that his twelve-year marriage was ending, leaving Goldstein with primary custody of their three small children. Though paralyzed at first by feelings of loss and depression, Goldstein eventually discovered that the pain allowed him and his children a deeper appreciation for the simple moments of joy -- that his once "broken" family was succeeding not despite its wounds, but because of them.

In Sacred Wounds, Goldstein reveals the secret to finding strength in challenging and often traumatic events, outlining a life-changing nine-step process to help readers move through heartache and toward healing. In clear, compassionate language, he refutes the notion of pain as a destroyer, drawing on the compelling stories of many of the people he has counseled along the way: Rick and Sara, who are plagued by infertility; Yvette, an aspiring man who battles her secular desires; Steve, for whom a frightening diagnosis portends the end...and then the beginning of hope. Remarkably affecting and inspiring, Goldstein's stories confirm that we are all well equipped to deal with the inevitable hurts and heartbreaks in life -- if only we release our preconceptions, acknowledge the strengthening power of our wounds, and follow the nine steps to a spiritual rebirth.

Indispensable for anyone suffering through spiritual and emotional difficulties, Sacred Wounds is the key to shifting our perceptions and finding new strength and success in the painful experiences we all endure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,517,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible